For the weight lifting savy

Options
What do you guys think of this shoulder workout? I did it today with some cardio/abs:

5 Minute run: 6.5mph

Kettlebell squat raises (I made this name up..I do a squat and when I come up I raise the kettlebell up to chest level..elbows above shoulder): 15, 15, 15 (With a 50lb kettlebell)

Military Press: 8, 8, 6, 6. (I don't know what the weight was as odd as that is..it was a good struggle though.)

Incline cable pulls (Standing up, pulling cables up towards shoulders): 10, 8, 8.

In between each set I ran at an 8.5 for 2minutes.

Then I did hip thrusters, the laying down bicycle, and scissor kicks for abs.

Replies

• timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why not try to work Upright Row in there? Its a good core lift and the curved bar removes a lot of the stress on the wrist. You could also take a look at some of these: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/12/muscle/shoulders
  • Steventhehro
    Steventhehro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'll definitely look into it, thanks. Anyone else have any input on it?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of this shoulder workout?

What are your goals?

If you're goal is to develop shoulder strength I would recommend something more like,

a. Shoulder Press: work up to a 5RM or 6RM (rotate every couple weeks with seated BB, DB presses, and Push Presses)
    b. Tri-Set: Rear dumbbell raise -> Lateral dumbbell raises -> Front dumbell raises x 4-5 sets of 10
    c. Shoulder Shrugs 5 sets of 8
    d. Tricep extensions 4 to 5 sets of 10 (triceps are one of the main movers of the shoulder press)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why not try to work Upright Row in there? Its a good core lift and the curved bar removes a lot of the stress on the wrist. You could also take a look at some of these: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/12/muscle/shoulders

He already does. His "squat thingies " sound like high pulls which sub for rows. I would do the military presses first, then the high pulls. And maybe cut the running down to one minute between sets to get back to tension quicker. On alternate workouts, replace the cable laterals with kettlebell snatches.