How to Calculate Calories in a Marinade...FINALLY!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't see this method being terribly accurate. I prefer to weigh the marinade before and then after, and log the difference. Same for frying, btw, for the person who asked.
    How do you account for the sugar and sodium that transferred by osmosis?
    Marinade is always more watery and weaker after removing the item being marinaded.
    Nit picking for sure, but if one is counting calories, it's surely better to err on the high side.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't see this method being terribly accurate. I prefer to weigh the marinade before and then after, and log the difference. Same for frying, btw, for the person who asked.
    How do you account for the sugar and sodium that transferred by osmosis?
    Marinade is always more watery and weaker after removing the item being marinaded.
    Nit picking for sure, but if one is counting calories, it's surely better to err on the high side.

Well, if the options are this way, OP's way, or logging all of it, any of those options is going to be slightly inaccurate. I have always approached calorie counting with the philosophy that one should get as close as one can without making oneself crazy. If I worry about the sugar/sodium from osmosis then how do I account for the fact that the calories I'm using for raw chicken breast are just an average? Or the fact that food labels can be off by 20%? I just get as close as possible, then I adjust based on my actual results.

If you've got a method that's 100% accurate I'd be interested to hear it though.