Camping, kids and independence

Options
southpaw211
southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
For those of you that camp (as in state parks, not backpacking), I'm just wondering how much freedom you allow your elementary aged kids. We've been camping regularly with our kids (entering 1st and 3rd grade) since they were both babies.

This year, we have a site that is not too far from the camp playground. I think I may be able to see it from our site (though not 100% as we haven't camped in this particular loop before), at the very least I can be there in 10 seconds. We're thinking that this year, we may let them go down to the playground to play for 15 minute intervals, equipped with the rules of staying together at all times and a 2 way radio to connect with us the whole time.

When my husband and I were kids, we remember running with the pack of playground kids when we were that young, even taking our bikes (they will not be riding anywhere alone on their bikes). There are no 'roads' for them to cross, and the playground is fenced with a split rail fence, which is more a boundary than a containment system. This is just down the hill from where our site is.

We're getting some negative feedback on this idea, so I'm curious what others do with kids of similar ages. I just think they need to start having some little bits of freedom here and there. They have two cousins of similar ages that we will be with, although their parents want to accompany them on the playground at all times. I think the 4 kids together would be fine, especially when two of them are 3rd graders. Again, short bits of time, within earshot at all times, possibly within sight. Thoughts?

Replies

• beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    We camp with our kids as well and, I think sticking to the guidelines you set, that it's fine. I've been accused of being way too overprotective of my kids but I think in your shoes, if I could see them from the campsite and I knew I could trust them to stay at the playground, I'd be okay with it.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I would think they would be fine as long as they stay together. I understand apprehension about letting them go out on their own, I've had the same feelings, but when I was a kid I know I ran all over town when I was in third grade. I figure you gotta give them some free reign sometimes and it sounds like at least you'll know where they are at all times.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think in a campground, it's fine, especially with walkie talkies and being in a group. As a kid, my dad would let us go play around the loop of the campsites and the playground. And as kids, we would go to the park alone and use a walkie talkie with my mom. You sound like a good parent with your head on your shoulders!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. The negativity and shock was making me second guess my decision, now I feel better.

I guess I just think they need to start spreading their wings a little so that if there is ever a situation where they find themselves without us for whatever reason, they will be able to handle themselves and not panic or be irresponsible. It seems like this is a pretty safe way to do that.