need motivation HELP

ehalps26
ehalps26 Posts: 25 Member
hey everyone, im eric. ive been on mfp for probably a year a half off and on. from april to a few weeks ago i was doing phenomenal. i logged every day and the scale made sense with the numbers. every single day i knew what my nutrition was like.

eventually, my biggest fear happened. when i don't log, im a compulsive over-eater. it's just a fact. one part of me wanted to be "normal" and be like everyone else who ate what they want when they wanted. i wanted to forget about thinking about the numbers on each food. the other part of me said you know what you are doing is great and this is just how it has to be. it gives my life order and i never have to worry about pigging out beyond belief. i gain confidence as well.

when i 'cheat' aka not log anything, i just cant even bring myself to go to the gym. im not the type to eat a cheeseburger and want to go run it off. if i eat a cheeseburger or anything that just doesnt make sense in my plan, i feel too guilty to even step foot in the gym. as if when i walk in everyone is going to turn and look and me as if they know! i know, ridiculous.

when i log, i feel great to be in the gym. as they say, what gets measured gets improved.

to give some brief background, i used to compete as a bodybuilder. i lifted and did the whole lifestyle for 4-5 years. a year ago i took an extended break...about 4 months, eating whatever i wanted and i gained a significant amount of fat, lost basically all muscle. when i feel like im more of a machine or lab rat, thats when i typically mess up beyond belief.

i was determined to come back better than ever, not to compete, but just to prove to everyone and of course myself that i can lose weight and look good, because i was knowledgeable and knew what nutrition was all about.

being that hardcore for so long i believe developed these eating issues. during that whole time i wouldnt eat anything that i thought wasnt beneficial...then it led to the period of inactivity, binging, and overeating.

starting tomorrow i want to do this for good. ive done it before and i can do it again, but i just need support on here. i havent really had that on here in the past so i think that having some friends who can help motivate me will be great. and of course any advice is much appreciated.

sorry for the length! thanks!

Replies

• sdb214
    sdb214 Posts: 5
    I am sure you will do great! You have a head start...fitness is in your blood! I don't know much about fitness or nutrition but if you need someone to say "you got this" or "get off your *kitten*" I can do it. I could use some motivation myself. Isn't it funny how you can be positive and supportive to others and not yourself!
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    You know you can do it....so do it! Don't even think of the "other"...just do it! :-) Start, don't look back, look forward! ;-)
  • U CAN DO IT! i hate being addicted to food......... the way it tastes, looks ,smells all the great things. and if u eat too much ur fat not enough ur too skinny and u have to eat it really sucks. the thing i found out is if u crave something try to have a small amount. if u cant handle a small amount then do something to keep u busy like logging in! we all r just people trying to be helthy and look good. add me if u like. this web site is new to me but i like it!
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    So true, sdb, we can't even give ourselves a pat on the back...lol! Nor am I an expert or know much...but learning. I'm going to try too and am excited I found this board!
  • ehalps26
    thanks! i think a huge part of why i have failed recently is because of a lack of support. im not the cocky type but when no one is there to compliment you or say you are doing a good job, it is veryyyy difficult to go on with it day after day. its difficult when most of the people around you have never lived what youre trying to live or dont know what good nutrition even is! and by not going to the gym ive been filling the void by driving around getting food. horrible.
  • LJSchmitt
    LJSchmitt Posts: 121 Member
    Add me -- I'll be there with a "way to go" or "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" I need all the motivation I can get. so I expect you to tell me the same thing - whichever is necessary. I've been carrying this extra load long enough!
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    I am have come to believe that most people have to watch what they eat. There are so few people in the world who are naturally thin. I want to take off some weight but I don't want to starve myself any longer. That is the cycle I had been on before. I have only been logging for a little over 30 days but I believe it helps me keep on task. I want friends who tell me when my dairy looks like I made some bad choices and tells me to get moving when they notice I am slacking. Right now I am fired up and would love to give you a push in the right direction. Feel free to add me.
  • ehalps26
    thank you so much, that would be amazing. right now im afraid to step on the scale LOL, because it affects my mood too much especially when im not logging and not going to the gym like i havent the last 2 weeks. but i know i have to do it to start somewhere.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    You can add me! I log the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't know the scope of your social support but I also have a motivational group on Facebook called FitCity-FitnessGroup. We share our setbacks and success! NOTHING TO IT-- BUT TO DO IT BABY!