Hope I can get the help I need here.

Options
Three days ago I came home from 13 days in the hospital, 9th time sense 2004. I have to gain now using 1500 calories and 60 gms protein. I am also 78 years old, heart problems, 1 mini stroke and COPD. At this point I cannot have any more surgeries so I have to eat to live. I choose this forum because not only does it check out as good but it seems to be more realistic. The profile was 80 calories off and protein only about 10 grams. Can't get much closer. The other reason is the weight gain diets are so medical it is like eating "cardboard". The High protein drink, 450 calories, is for the people with lung problems, etc. I would like to gain using REAL food. But after 5 years on the high protein I almost cannot eat. I am not asking for Medical as my 6 Docs take care of that and I listen to them and clear through them. At this point, now, I can relax a bit and maybe enjoy my family.

BTW, I looked at your pictures and you all so beautiful and young I used a picture from 1950's, when my husband and I first met. Picture from 1954 and now we are married 55 years. After a bit if anyone would like to see us now will post current. :blushing: P.S. I am also 78, bedridden, cannot stand BUT doing exercises in bed with help.

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, good luck on your journey. Many people are here to lose weight, but you are here to do the opposite. I don't see much of a difference (besides the obvious). Everybody is working towards a goal here. I personally believe its even harder to gain good weight than to lose weight. I'm also really proud that you are doing this at your age.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your journey to become healthy. It will be hard at some times, but I'm sure you can get through it.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site:flowerforyou: This a great place to get to where you want to be (either to lose, Gain or mantain) We are all here to get healthy :smile: I think its great that you are choosing to be proactive in your health. I am here to lose some ( perhaps I could mail it to you then we could be balanced out :bigsmile: ) Hope that made you smile. By the way I LOVE the picture you posted its wonderful.
    Pam
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:

I actually saw your profile picture and am in love with it's classic style, it's timeless!!

I hope you can find the information and support you need here!!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Your post touched my heart! You came to the right place LizBWell! It's great that you are going to do what you need to do with real food!!!! I know you can do it, and I'll be praying with you!!

God bless you Liz!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to MFP.

I am part of a group called "Senior Golden Sneakers" you'll find us on the "Fitness and Exercise" message board. We are a friendly group, some with health challenges, all with a positive attitude. We would love for you to join our group. We post almost every day to each other and support each other in our goals. Hope to see you there.

MFP is a great site with a lot of nutrition information. Read as much as you can and ask all the questions you want. There will be someone with useful information.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Liz-

What can you eat? I have a coworker friend who can't eat a lot of stuff and is like you struggling to keep weight on.

Barbiecat is in another forum I'm in and if she is suggesting Senior Golden Sneakers, I'd check it out.

How many times a day are you eating? I'd try at least something every hour or so. That was my friend's first step. She started off by eating what ever she could keep down every hour.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeannie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello Liz, I am also from The Senior Golden Sneakers Club. I would like to welcome you to our group. I am slso 78 years old. and they have done wonders for me. Especaially Baarbiecat. I also have had a stroke, aheart attack.and numberous other ailment. But these people got me out of my chair and walking now. I feel so much better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64796-senior-golden-sneakers-club-for-september Click on this and it will take you there We will be changing to Oct. soon and then you will have to find us at fitness and exercise. Good that you are doing exercise in bed. We would love to have you.
    Marie
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz. Welcome to MFP. :smile: Your story touched my heart, and I wish you all the best in your efforts to gain weight. I know how difficult that can be...sometimes a lot more difficult than losing the weight, so I empathize with your struggle.

I love your photo. :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I love your photo and I'm glad you are here! Your introduction really touched my heart! Welcome to the MFP family, you are going to love it here!

Holly:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Liz,

Welcome to MFP. You are definitely in the right place. I hope you will take the suggestions of Barbiecat and Calliecat and check out the Senior Golden Sneakers. I also post on it sometimes and those two are both very inspiring. Marie (Calliecat) has had her share of health issues, but she gets out their and does what she can every day, and she is great source of inspiration and encouragement for all those who post on that thread, and on the other threads she pops up on.

Barbiecat is the "poster child" for lifestyle change and how much it can do for you. Her husband is a sometime contributor and also made a major lifestyle change.

Good luck to you!! I hope we will keep hearing from you.:flowerforyou:
  • lizbwell
    Options
    ...Med Break 4:00 am
    Sleep 4:00am-11:00 am
    Breakfast 11:00 am
    Lunch 2:00 pm
    Dinner 5:00 pm
    I basically eat all day. So far doing good on calories. Hospital set goal 1500 calories and 60 protein plus exercise.

Mechanical diet for food. Have upper plate but no lower, bone gone. So eating about the same as full liquid diel.

Going to next email and golden circle.
    Liz
    Thanks for the answers everyone. Trying to get supplies in for me now so a little off. Plus waiting to hear results of last hospital on my lungs. Doc said change in lungs but not what. I feel best when I know what is going on. :drinker:
  • lizbwell
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64796-senior-golden-sneakers-club-for-september

Found the URL.. If I do not show up please come and find me?
  • lizbwell
    Options
    Can't get to last post in Sept. Toay is 10-01 so will wait for new URL. Will try just changing the Sept to October.

Liz
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Liz--

A new post for Oct hasn't been set yet. Calliecat must be busy this morning. To get to the last post of the URL previously posted for Golden Sneakers, after clicking on URL go to the page numbers that show above the posting on the right side at top of page and click on the last number to the right. In this case that is "10." Once you are on that page you can scroll down to the end and get to the last post. Most likely there will be a posting showing the new URL for October.

Another way you can find it is to go to the Fitness and Exercise section of the Community Tab and read the titles that come up for recent posts and it will appear there regularly as this is a fairly active thread.

I will watch for a post from you in the next day or two, and if there isn't one, I will send you a personal message to check up on you.

Also, once you have posted on a thread, it will come up(when you are logged in) under the "My Topics" section of the Community tab

Good luck with your recovery.:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Lizbwell! I also love your picture, but I'll bet you are just as beautiful today!

I am visualizing pounds coming off my body and onto yours. How many do you need? I got lots!

Take care!
  • lizbwell
    Options
    To show current likeness I put up a picture. But cannot look at that one as I do not recognize that old lady and the husband with diabetes II. The one up now is from 1975 when we were 44. This is the way I feel in my head. Anyone else feel that way?
  • lizbwell
    Options
    Love your ID... Sorta "hits the nail on the head"! Thanks for the kind words. We are all working for the same thing just from different directions and different needs. The calorie counter here is worth its weight in gold. This was what has stopped me in the past, trying to count calories and the rest and never feeling I got it right. :glasses:

Exercises still not right. Getting better with the food end.