Blisters

Options
I have had this problem on and off for about 3 years. If I jog for longer than 30 minutes, I get blisters on the bottoms of my feet under the arch. I think it is an odd place to get a blister! I'm not sure why. My feet are very average, not flat and not a high arch. Maybe it has something to do with my stride? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this or why this is happening?

Replies

• jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem on and off for about 3 years. If I jog for longer than 30 minutes, I get blisters on the bottoms of my feet under the arch. I think it is an odd place to get a blister! I'm not sure why. My feet are very average, not flat and not a high arch. Maybe it has something to do with my stride? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this or why this is happening?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Shoes? Do you have a place around you that actually has you "try" the shoe out and finds you the perfect shoe...here in CT we have aplace called the" Run in"...and they have an indoor track etc....

dd
  • jlohern
    Options
    Shoes? Do you have a place around you that actually has you "try" the shoe out and finds you the perfect shoe...here in CT we have aplace called the" Run in"...and they have an indoor track etc....

dd

I do have some pretty old shoes, but the blisters don't appear until I've been running for 30+ minutes. I'm not sure how much the shoe store would like me to use their shoes for an entire workout...especially if I'm not even sure about buying them!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    But maybe they can suggest a shoe that won't cause the blisters....it seems to me that after the 30 min something is itrritating your under sole? and I think it is the shoe?

dd
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    But maybe they can suggest a shoe that won't cause the blisters....it seems to me that after the 30 min something is itrritating your under sole? and I think it is the shoe?

I completely agree - go to a reputable, established running-only store where they put you in shoes and then watch you run. They'll figure it out.
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    I had trouble with blisters around the edge of the bottom of my heel. I went to two different high-end reputable running shoe stores and tried four different pairs of shoes for a month or so each -Aasics, Saucony, New Balance, Mizuno. The stores were gracious to take the shoes back that didn't work. I ended up with New Balance which gave me minimal blisters.

What helped the most was - Smart Wool socks!!!!
    And Body Glide in stick form.

GOOd LuCK!!
  • russford
    Options
    Also make sure you are not wearing cotton socks, COTTON IS ROTTEN!! Can't say enough about great socks, dry fit, wicking socks make a huge difference.
  • 2kidsandadog
    2kidsandadog Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The RunningRoom has a 30 day money back guarantee on their shoes if you wear them inside(treadmill). You should also replace your shoes every 600km. Proper socks make a HUGE difference and there is also a product called "body glide" that you can purchase to stop blisters. I personally slather my feet in vaseline. gross, I know, but it works:smile:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Band Aid also has a blister block stick (I don't remember what it's called exactly), but it's in the same place as the band aids and it comes in a little tube, similar to chap stick, but bigger. I use it and it's great!
  • jlohern
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody! I do wear cotton socks so maybe I should try some new socks first. It's the cheapest option and we don't have a running specialty store where I live. We have a Foot Locker and that's about it. I would probably have to drive 2+ hours to get to a good store! I will be going to Chicago in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll try there.
  • jlohern
    Options
    The RunningRoom has a 30 day money back guarantee on their shoes if you wear them inside(treadmill). You should also replace your shoes every 600km. Proper socks make a HUGE difference and there is also a product called "body glide" that you can purchase to stop blisters. I personally slather my feet in vaseline. gross, I know, but it works:smile:

That's not gross! I used to cover my feet in Vaseline before a workout so my feet would stay soft and not get callouses. Maybe I should start doing that again.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Double up your socks. Blisters are simply a result of friction on the skin; hence the reason you don't get them at under 30 min. Double socks means the shoe rubs on the extra sock & not your covered foot.
  • zaybedowop
    zaybedowop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As other suggested a good fitting shoe does wonders. I used to get blisters on my arches too. I also found out from a podiatrist that I over-pronate (when my feet hit the pavement they roll inward) when I walk/run. I had to get inserts made for my feet and that took care of that problem and also the pain that I was starting to get in my hip and knee from the over-pronation.

Sweat wicking socks are a blessing. And I wouldn't recommend doubling up on the socks. When you buy good socks you should only have to wear one pair at a time. :)
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Double socks are not uncommon. I've been a competitve runner for over 15 years.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I do wear cotton socks so maybe I should try some new socks first. It's the cheapest option and we don't have a running specialty store where I live.

If you have a target in your area I like the champion brand socks, they stay really dry while running and I have not had any problems with blisters since I started wearing these. They are about $5 for 2 pairs. I highly recommend ones that are thicker and in particular are thicker through the middle of the foot. It just adds a little extra cushion to prevent blisters and bruising.

I would suggest that you even go to lady foot locker and try some good NEW running shoes on. Shoes do need to be replaced often. I am a fanatic about my running shoes, I have 5 pairs that I switch everyday so one pair can dry out and bounce back into shape while I wear another. I also have three brands, I prefer some for days I want to run longer or harder and one pair for hiking (higher around the ankle). My favorites are aisics and saucony.
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I spray anti-perspirant on my feet ... I don't get blisters if my feet stay DRY !