Any Vegetarian/Vegans or ppl with Sweet tooths?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of meat and do not have a sweet tooth.

Coincidence?

Probably
  • halarson24
    halarson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the trick to use frozen fruit to make "ice-cream"? Here is my posting about plain banana, but it is also good with strawberries, peaches and mangos (or some combo of those). Bananas don't need other milk (or plant based milk), other fruits tend to need a splash of milk.

http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/2012/07/banana-ice-creama-low-calorie-dessert.html

Hope this helps!

In good health,

Holly
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Period.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    helloooo!!! im pescetarian and I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth!!! feeling you on the ice-cream issue I LOVE IT!!! feel free to add me if you like and good luck!! :smile:
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian who rarely eats the fish, and I have a mad sweet tooth. :(

Best thing is to just cut them out for a week so you're not so reliant on the sweety sweets.

^^This is me too!!! I've actually been "off" sugar for one week now. I had several weeks in a row where I was baking like crazy, and eating most of what I baked, plus there were several Oreo binges and happy hours mixed in. I felt AWFUL and gained 3 pounds in two weeks even though I was working out like crazy. I got so disgusted with myself that I decided last Monday to cut out processed sugar. I've lost 4.2 lbs since, and I feel amazing.

I had been at a plateau for so long and I think that cutting the sugar and also cutting carbs is the only way I'm going to bust through it. The first 3-4 days were rough, but it's worth it. For me, it's not as simple as calories in/calories out (I know a lot of people on here say otherwise, but this is what works for me).

I'm coming up with new ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. This weekend I made crustless yogurt "cheesecake" with fresh berries and pineapple syrup. It tasted sweet and delicious but the only sugars in it occurred naturally in the fruit, unsweetened juice, and plain nonfat Greek yogurt. Since you love ice cream, this treat might satisfy your cravings too!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I'm mostly vegan (every once in a while I fall of the wagon because of baked goods/the occasional milk chocolate), but I've found that my morning protein breakfast smoothies help to curb my raging sweet tooth. I switch it up a lot between fruit smoothies and chocolate smoothies (adding 2 tbsp of Ghiradelli Hot Cocoa powder is yummy and adds about 65 calories to the smoothie). Even just mixing up soy milk, OJ and vanilla protein powder tastes like a Dreamsicle, but still provides good nutrients.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the trick to use frozen fruit to make "ice-cream"? Here is my posting about plain banana, but it is also good with strawberries, peaches and mangos (or some combo of those). Bananas don't need other milk (or plant based milk), other fruits tend to need a splash of milk.

^^ I've done this too! I made a yummy mango sorbet in my food processor just by blending up some frozen mango chunks, a squeeze of lime juice, a spoonful of Grand Marnier, and a dash of cayenne pepper (I love the flavor combo of mango, lime, and pepper together, and the liqueur just gives it a little kick). I've also done this with bananas, and topped with some chopped nuts and dark chocolate syrup.
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    not exciting, but i'm lazy and so i end most days with a slice of toasted ezekiel bread and 2 tbsps of sugar free jam from the health food store. it's called Grandma's jam and it tastes really good.
    also, kombucha!
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whenever I crave sweets I usually make me a fruit salad and if I crave chocolate which is very rarely I eat natural dark chocolate bars called endangered species chocolate.
  • MauMauTheVege
    MauMauTheVege Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm a vegetarian also! Next January I will be celebrating 10 years. I love chocolate...soo much. and ice cream. I get burst of sugar cravings occasionally and I find myself eating sweets all day. Luckily, this doesnt happen too often. My main problems are potato chips...french fries....pizza. I am trying hard to eat more fruits and veggies to gain a healthier lifestyle. *sigh* oh pizza...I miss you already.
  • BodyRockMe
    Options
    Lots of great feedback and new tips! I personally have tried an old trick of freezing seedless grapes and eating them. The taste is sweet, but doesn't stand up to ice cream. I have also been cutting out a LOT of cheese and the first few days were hell, when I had terrible cravings to the point of passing out! But I stuck to my guns, now my cravings are significantly less, so I can focus more on making that conscious effort of what I put into my body.

Also, my mother is a baker who is only now warming up to my vegetarianism, but she doesn't really support my no sweets no dairy thing. It makes things exponentially harder when my kitchen is littered with baked goods, it's like torture! D:
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    From one of my favorite sites! http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/11/5-make-ahead-vegan-and-gluten-free-lunches-part-1/

Go Go Glow Mix

Energizing, delicious, and packed with antioxidants. This is the perfect mix to throw into a packed lunch. Sub the almonds with sunflower seeds if you want it nut-free. All ingredients were purchased at the bulk food store, Bulk Barn.

Yield: 2.5 cups

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup goji berries
    1/2 cup almonds (or sunflower seeds) (I mixed 1//2 of each)
    1/2 cup mulberries
    1/2 cup dark chocolate covered cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips) (I used 70% MacaBar and chopped it into bits)

1. Mix together and enjoy for a quick pick me up! I take a 1/3 cup as a snack to work.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Another sweet treat I like is 1/3 cup Amande yogurt (or yogurt of your choice), 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional), 1/3 cup berries and 3-4 walnut halves chopped.