Need some help

Options
I am looking for some food ideas that require no refridgeration or heating. I work doing residential cleaning and my food for the day must travel in a car, I have a small insulated bag to carry my stuff in and some things will remain cool, but not cold. I also have no way to heat any foods. I tried hummus and I do not care for it. The following is a list of things I know I can carry, but would like any ideas for some kind of sandwiches or other "stick to your ribs" foods. Thank you for any suggestions.

Fruit
prepacked tuna lunch meals
crackers
granola bars
veggies

Replies

• MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    make some tortilla rollers
    with a fat free cream cheest a slice of turkey and some road friendly veggies, like crisp bell pepper slices.
    you could do like an apple rice cake and spread fat free cream cheese on it and put blue berries on top
    cream cheese stays fresh in a lunch box :)
    bood luck
  • littlebigbird
    Options
    I have to carry my lunch with me in the car a couple of days a week too. One of my favourite lunches is couscous with roasted or raw veggies mixed into it (roasted courgette, aubergine, tomato, pepper and onion or raw carrot, pepper, radish etc) . I sometimes add a bit of grilled chicken, ham or tuna too. I soak the couscous in stock rather than plain water so it has a nice flavour before I add the other bits and bobs.

I'm sure others will have lots of other great ideas. Good luck!
  • jojogirl
    Options
    You can buy a small cooler and fill with ice...
    Make a ham or turkey breast for the week and use it for fresh sandwiches.
    Natural peanut butter and sugar free jelly
    Grilled chicken caesar salad (lowfat caesar or homemade)
    I don't eat much small snacks other than fruits and nuts, I usually have meals for lunch that I can travel with as well.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    You can buy a small cooler and fill with ice...
    Make a ham or turkey breast for the week and use it for fresh sandwiches.
    Natural peanut butter and sugar free jelly
    Grilled chicken caesar salad (lowfat caesar or homemade)
    I don't eat much small snacks other than fruits and nuts, I usually have meals for lunch that I can travel with as well.

I cannot carry a cooler with ice in it, it's not my vehicle that we use and we have cleaning supplies and other people to carry, so room is limited to my insulated cooler.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    for keeping things cool, I freeze a bottle of water or iced tea. I place this next to my turkey sandwich or other parishable. AND I have a nice cold bottle of drink at lunch time!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    These are the ideas I could think of off the top of my head...

Microwaved popcorn, or kettlecorn
    Cereal (I :heart: Kashi) with milk- there are juice box sized milk you can buy that don't need to be regridgerated until after you open it, but you would likely use it for cereal and drink it so you wouldn't have to worry about reusing it
    Crackers and Laughing Cow cheese (Laughing cow doesn't have to be refrigerated)
    Soy crisps or rice cakes
    Trail mix
    Apple sauce