am i addicted

Options
earndien
earndien Posts: 195 Member
i was watching one of my fav programs last nyt, supersize vs superskinny, the most shocking episode i ever watch
was last nights one

and i was thinking to my self lately, for a while,
am i addicted to food!?!
and i cant get to an answer
i get to my days that i overeat, and then the days where i am under cal
but when i eat or during the day i always think of food.....
when i eat lunch i am already planning supor in my head....
am i addicted to food?!?
whats your thought

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The concept of being addicted to food makes about as much sense as being addicted to air.

With the risk of sounding harsh labelling something as "addiction" is a tool used to try and shift responsibility for what is essentially greed onto an "addiction".
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I totally and completely believe that food can be an addiction
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you just need to eat different foods. I dont honestly know what you are eating, I didn't look at your diary, but just from my experience, I used to think a lot about food when all I ever ate was unhealthy high carb foods. Even now when I eat too many carbs I find myself thinking about food more often than when I eat more protein and healthy fats (and veggies!). Like today I ate waaay too many carbs, and bad sugary carbs like cookies, and I am only a little under my calorie goal but hungrier than usual, especially after just having dinner! So I was thinking about a snack because I still have some cals left but I realize its almost bed time so I should just be happy with dinner. I think its your bodies way of saying its missing something...
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    I was just reading an article today that said people with food addictions have areas of their brains stimulated when looking at pictures of food the same way a drug addicts brain is when they are having a craving. Plus there's some ingredient in cheese that is apparently as addictive as heroin!

I totally believe food is addiction. Drug and alcohol addicts have it easy, all they have to do is stay away from their substance, they don't need moderate amounts of it to live.
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    I don't think it is a physical addiction as much as an mental and emotional one but can begin to affect you physically over time. Food truly should be used to fuel your body. If you use it as comfort, stress relief, anger relief, in any way to make you "feel" better than it it no different than alcohol or drugs. I do believe that sugar can affect you physically just as caffiene can. I realized this about sugar when i got off of it. I was amazed at how clearer my brain was. All the eating disorders obviously involve addiction as they are a misquided image issue.

So my answer is yes.