I hate exercise... am I ever going to like it?

Options
2»

Replies

• GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise. I hated it because I felt fat and that people were looking at me and also the feeling of physical exhaustion and being out of breath. When I first started out I remember my dad telling me my body would start to crave it after a while and I thought he was talking rubbish but he was so right!

I love it now and if I ever can't get to the gym for some reason eg. last week I was working at the Olympics for most of the week and it was long shifts plus two hours of travel on either side so I didn't have time to go to the gym before or after and I was ITCHING to go to the gym. When I finally got a day off, the first thing I did was go straight to the gym.

To start out I went to fitness classes with a friend and then eventually started braving fitness classes on my own and now I go to the gym, fitness classes, swimming, whatever I fancy on my own and don't care what anyone else thinks. I remember the first fitness class I ever did, though, I had to stop for a drink about every minute and honestly thought I was going to die. I remember I used to leave the room to go to the "toilet" at least once every class as well because I needed to sit down and have a breather. Now, though, same class, I ace it through to the end and am usually one of the fitter members of the class. So it IS possible if you stick at it and the fitter you get, the better it feels.
  • jessicaallsorts
    Options
    My daughter runs marathons and does triathlons. One day we were talking on the phone when her running buddy arrived and I said " bye, enjoy your run". She said. Mom I HATE running. I hate every step I take." I asked " why do you run 50 miles a week then" and she said, " the only thing I hate more than running is weighing 200 pounds".
    I don't like exercise either but it is the only thing that will keep the 150 pounds I have lost off my body. I have crappy metabolism and takes a strict 1400 cal/day and 3 miles of swimming a week to keep me in my size 6 jeans and out of a wheelchair. So I am off to get cold and wet and make lists in my head while I swim. Good luck. Hope you find an exercise that works for you on every level.

This has certainly inspired me!!
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to loathe exercise. LOATHE IT. Largely because I felt fat and self-conscious and unfit.

I know it's zeitgeisty and can be quite divisive, but I swear by zumba. Exercise in disguise. I basically go and have fun for an hour, and have to more or less wring my clothes out afterwards. I found my first class very enjoyable and non-threatening (a big part of the ethos is that all shapes, sizes, ages and abilities can take part), and kind of went from there.

Now? Endorphin addict; exercise hard most days; and wouldn't be without it. Give it a go; I can't recommend it highly enough.

I love Zumba too! It works for me when I don't "feel like exercising". I do alternate the zumba dvds with going to the gym though :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hate it, still do. Have done it every single day for the past 23 weeks. Lost 51lbs in the process & went from a size 22 to a size 14. I still have more to go. I do Zumba(my fave) at home, as with all the workouts I do. I run now when before I could hardly jog 100 mtrs. If I don't do it every day I know I'll never get going again.

No reason you have to love it, but you get so used to it that you kinda feel rotten if you don't do it
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it too! I now cant go without it!

I have been out for two weeks and all i want to do it get back in gym! (Tonights the night) my body and mind craves it!
    I load a good play list to my Ipod and off I go, I used to be self concious in gym but I no longer focus on that.
    Zumba is heaps of fun if you can find a class nearby!

Find something you enjoy or a way you can make it more fun for yourself! I love the challenge to see what I can burn!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack. I love exercising now..
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise and I still do lol. But I love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards and try to focus on that. I've just accepted exercise is something I need to do if i want to lose weight and tone up, whether I enjoy it or not :happy:

This is me! I complain while I'm doing it, but the results speak for themselves. I recently bought a bicycle and am actually enjoying that.

If you like to dance, definitely try Zumba and don't give a second thought to how you look or if your moves are right. Mine never are, but it's a great workout and it's fun.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I really hate working out...always have...probably always will. What I DO love is playing sports. All the running around and stuff works for me. I get a workout while doing something I really really really love. But every morning I get my butt downstairs before my kids are up and do a 20 minute kickboxing workout. When I'm done, I'm happy I did it. I'm doing it simply because I need to lose weight and I want to look good. Sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do in order to achieve something you desperately want.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love Jazzercise. It has all body types in class, is dancy, has current music, incorporates strength training into each class. I've never joined a gym, that would not be my thing!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I never hated exercise but I used to not like it but the more I do it, the more I love to do it. If you want to go to the gym, there's really no need to feel self-conscious. Most people there are too busy try to get/ stay in shape to sit around judging bodies. As for fitness levels for classes in gyms, you can probably find a class for any fitness level. I think once you start doing exercises consistently, you're body adjusts to it and it becomes easier and it does end up feeling good. I really can't even skip days anymore because I just don't feel good if I do; I'll have less energy during the day, feel sluggish, and won't sleep as well at night because I don't feel worn out. If working out just never becomes fun for you though, you can always just exercise while you're just reading, watching TV, or listening to music-- basically anything that you'd do while stationary but can do while moving. Or you can try finding a friend to work out with. You'll have some one to occupy the time with and it'll go by faster.
  • Papabear0428
    Options
    I never really enjoyed exercise because I was doing things that just didn't fit me. Some of those videos that others found so successful (anyone remember Tae Bp?) were okay but it's a pain doing that sort of thing alone. We have a fitness center at work and I finally started taking advantage of the membership there and when I had some friends working out with me it was a lot more fun. Also, I did the kind of workout that I LIKED to do so I would consistently work out. As far as Zumba and you comparing yourself to a pig having a fit, well, I worried about my body image for a minute until the music started. I loved it so much I forgot all about how I look to others (and the others weren't concerned about how looked anyway1!). So the point is find the workout that you enjoy, and you won't hate exercising anymore!:happy:
  • Papabear0428
    Options
    I never hated exercise but I used to not like it but the more I do it, the more I love to do it. If you want to go to the gym, there's really no need to feel self-conscious. Most people there are too busy try to get/ stay in shape to sit around judging bodies. As for fitness levels for classes in gyms, you can probably find a class for any fitness level. I think once you start doing exercises consistently, you're body adjusts to it and it becomes easier and it does end up feeling good. I really can't even skip days anymore because I just don't feel good if I do; I'll have less energy during the day, feel sluggish, and won't sleep as well at night because I don't feel worn out. If working out just never becomes fun for you though, you can always just exercise while you're just reading, watching TV, or listening to music-- basically anything that you'd do while stationary but can do while moving. Or you can try finding a friend to work out with. You'll have some one to occupy the time with and it'll go by faster.

I think this is when you're brain produces endorphins which make you feel good. I agree with everything you said here!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hate exercise too, still hate... BUT... love sports and activities.
    For me exercise is the gym and doing stairmaster, this I hate. Weights, I like though.
    Personally, I would suggest, if you can afford it, a sport. (not bowling! ahahaha) Something like basketball, volley ball and so on.
    Zumba seems awsome! Still searching for classes in my area...
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that I hate exercise, as that I hate being unfit. Since I joined a gym, every week my body has improved in some measurable way and this partially makes up for the indignities of being unco-ordinated in public. It's also quite fun to play with the cardio machine pre-sets: the flashing lights and progress levels are kinda like a video game.

You don't have to be fit at all to join exercise classes! The instructors are cool about you taking breaks or choosing easier moves until you're comfortable with the whole routine.
  • TahliaHarveysMummy
    Options
    I used to hate it - but i think that's because i used to try go to the gym and it was full of fit people whereas i was the unfit fatty! That all changed when i took up Zumba! Seriously, if you enjoy dancing then defo go to a zumba class (i personally don't think jumping straight into doing it on wii/kinect/dvd would help you keep up with it!) - it's the most fun way to exercise! I've tried loads of different classes over the past year and do swap and change when i get bored (better than giving up altogether) but have stuck with Zumba (getting the right teacher and class helps!)
    I also used to be a complete "I don't do running - unless someone's chasing me with a meat cleaver" type of girl but recently decided to try save some pennies and try something free during the summer (?!) and gave it a whirl! I surprised myself but jogging 2.3 miles on my first go - without stopping!!!!! Now i'm working my way up to go longer and getting my speed up and i hate it when i have to miss a night of exercise as i haven't built up the courage to go without a friend yet but to answer your question as shortly as possible (after all that.....) YES you CAN start to like doing exercise! It's just finding the right thing for YOU that works and you can can stick to! :o) x
  • marykosik
    marykosik Posts: 2
    Options
    Crazy how what people say can hit home .. With the Arthritis I have in my legs exercise is what will keep me walking for the rest of my life .. I know what I need to do. I to have a hard time getting started but love it when I'm done .
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    When I first really started working out it was with a friend. It is not that we didn't like it, but it was hard. When some people are out of shape, like I was, see something hard and they instantly hate it. I always say that I hate running but now I have a goal to run a marathon in a year and a half and have started running more often. Mind you I am not good at it and I often spout that I hate running more often than not but when I am done I always look at my husband or my friend or whoever is around quite frankly and I say " I was not a fan when I was doing it but boy did that feel good, I feel great" and it makes it all worth it!! The joy of working out does not come from the gym for me, it comes from the instant endorphin rush that run through my body and the results I see from it in the mirror. Find what you like or find what makes you feel good and go for it!! Your body will love you for it :-) All the best of luck in your journey!!!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise mainly because I get soo tired. I can not wait until the day that doesn't happen anymore.... and I am stupid lazy... hoping to work out of that as well...