Eat after working out?

Options
Hey i heard that if you eat within 2 hours after you exercise, you will grow fat? But aren't we suppose to repair our muscles after working out? Confused!

Replies

• ButtaBean713
    Options
    yes u supposed to eat within 2 hours after excercise to replenish your body of what u lost during ur workout...protein, electrolytes, etc. It's really important!
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depending on the food you eat. You need to replenish your body after a workout but also it depends on how hard you really work. If you walk a little bit and don't exsert yourself there isn't a need for repairing. If you run on the treadmill for 30 minutes above 4 miles an hour then yes you might want to have something protein based like meat, milk, protein shake, protein bar or along those lines within 30 minutes to 1hr of working out.
    Don't go walking around the mall for an hour window shopping and go get a Big Mac. You get my point.
    I drink a scoop and a half of a good quality protein shake with almond milk (you can use skim milk) and it is filling and replenishing. Best thing I have found so far.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You need to eat good things after you workout... Don't fill up on things like doughnuts, cake, pasta, etc. Look for lean protein and veggies.
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    You need to eat good things after you workout... Don't fill up on things like doughnuts, cake, pasta, etc. Look for lean protein and veggies.
    awesome! What if I only eat Japanese cucumbers? Is it enough?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    No.....
    It doesnt work that way.
    You need to eat at a surplus to gain fat.

If you work out, then eat starchy carbs + Protein, youll help repair muscle by refilling lost glycogen/water.
    If you eat above what you burn for the day youll have a chance of adding unwanted fat.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hey i heard that if you eat within 2 hours after you exercise, you will grow fat?

you really heard this? cant imagine where. But to be safe, wait 2 hours and add 5 minutes before you eat. Or just dont exercise and eat when ever you want. does any of this make sense?
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Cant say I ever heard this I know I have to eat after workout because I workout early in the morning and wouldnt have eaten for at least 10-11 hours before so I cant see how that would make anyone fat