who eats 1200 cals, add me

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for friends who are eating the 1200 cals mfp rec. Pleae don't say eat more anyone whs tempted to lol. I want to stick at 1200 cals for a bit and see how it goes.

Add me as a friend if you think we could support eachother through this healthy eating and give tips on how to achieve it.

I'm a 29 year old mum of one and work part time. I'm from UK (just a little about me, please if you do add me let me know a little about you).

Replies

• andric1
    andric1 Posts: 23
    Options
    There's so many things wrong with only eating 1200 kCals per day. You'll find that out yourself though.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1300 for now. I am sure it will go down to 1200 once I shed about 10lbs. MFP recommended 1200, but I adjusted my calories to my BMR and try not to eat back my exercise calories. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Have you calculated your BMR?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear from me, but at 5'10 and with only 14 pounds to lose, you need to be eating more then 1200 a day.

I'm assuming you have it set at 2 pounds a week loss right now.. Up to 1, and then go from there.

ETA: For the record, I'm an inch shorter then you and currently weigh what your starting weight is.

Where you are right now, is perfectly fine for your height.
  • rachaelstafford
    Options
    I try to stick to 1200 but I am not completely fixed to it and if I creep up to between 1300-1500 I am not too bothered.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear from me, but at 5'10 and with only 14 pounds to lose, you need to be eating more then 1200 a day.

I'm assuming you have it set at 2 pounds a week loss right now.. Up to 1, and then go from there.

ETA: For the record, I'm an inch shorter then you and currently weigh what your starting weight is.

Where you are right now, is perfectly fine for your height.

Thanks for the advise. I was thinking wow how does this person know so much about me then I rem its on my profile. Was a bit freaked for a min lol.

I know i'm fine as I am now. Just wanna get rid of the jiggle lol
  • ReversedTime
    Options
    i am actually only eating around 1200 (give or take 100) kcal. And that's only because I'm 4'11. If you really want to stick to 1200, feel free to add me :) I lost a lot of weight before but i went slack with my diet and gained weight so im starting my diet again.
  • littlecesar
    Options
    There's so many things wrong with only eating 1200 kCals per day. You'll find that out yourself though.

Andric1

What do you suggest? That is the calorie allowance MFP has put me on. I am 51 and 5'2" currently weighing 186.6 lbs., looking to achieve a weight of 135. Advice would be helpful. Tell me why it's wrong, please.
  • donna_do_good
    Options

I appreciate you taking the tie to write but I think it would be ok for a few weeks just to give me a kick start
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

then you need to be working on reducing bodyfat, which is different to just wanting to lose weight.
  • donna_do_good
    Options

then you need to be working on reducing bodyfat, which is different to just wanting to lose weight.

I know I should work out, but i'm lazy tbh. I honestly dont wanna work for it at the min which is totally the wrong attitude I know but it's how I feel right now x
  • peony1001
    peony1001 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am aiming for 1200 (what MFP recommended for me to lose 1lb a week) and it's definitely not a problem, esp if you have a good portion of protein and lots of veg.
  • kirsty_mc
    kirsty_mc Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I have a daily limit set by my personal trainer and dietician at 1200 cals per day, so far this has worked for me for the goals that I am trying to achieve.

Some people my find that 1200 is "wrong" or doesnt work for them, however each person is different and I feel that your comment isn't particulary useful until you fully understand peoples situations and goals. Not having a go, just highlighting that whilst 1200 might have so many things wrong with it for you, it certainly doesnt have anything wrong with it for me.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Thanks for all the adds everyone, it was lovely to read all the wee messages aswell. We can do this xx :angry: ( that face is meant to be angry but to me it looks determined)
  • andric1
    Options
    I appreciate you taking the tie to write but I think it would be ok for a few weeks just to give me a kick start
    The only thing you will achieve by having such a big deficit is an even bigger yo-yo effect.
    If it takes people weeks and months to gain weight, what makes people believe it doesn't take weeks and months to lose said weight?
    What do you suggest? That is the calorie allowance MFP has put me on. I am 51 and 5'2" currently weighing 186.6 lbs., looking to achieve a weight of 135. Advice would be helpful. Tell me why it's wrong, please.
    I can't suggest anything without knowing how much you really need per day. Fill out whatever MFP asks for and cut 500 kCal AT MOST. Personally I didn't reduce my intake on calories every day for the same amount. Sometimes it would be only 100, sometimes even 600 less. Heck, there's even days when I had +100 kCal.

Just try to understand what goals you're setting for yourself. If you lose 450 kCal every day, that is 900 kCal every second day.
    1g of fat has 9kCal, thus 900 kCal are 100g of fat, so basically you are losing 100g of pure fat every second day. Note that this is only theoretically, in reality there's more factors to be considered, but just try to understand how your body works.
    So if you want to lose 10 kg of body fat, you would have to lose 90.000 kCal, that's all you have to do. With a deficit of 450 per day, it would take you 200 days.

Again, note that this is theory. It can take longer or shorter.

Now, why is 1200 kCal per day bad? Assuming you need 2000 per day (I don't know if this is true for you), you would go for a minus of 800 calories, that's way too much, your body will switch to starvation mode (I'm not familiar with the English terms, hope you know what I'm trying to tell you) and once you go back to your regular calorie intake you will gain fat abnormally fast.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Andric1

I calculated your BMR and you should not go below 1513.71 at your current weight. This is just what personally suggest. Again I could be wrong, but I've had success in losing 50lbs after both of my pregnancies. I gained 12lbs the past few months and have lost 1.8lbs just this week from tracking my calories and trying to stay at my BMR.
  • kindo
    kindo Posts: 11
    Options
    I highly recommend consulting with a registered dietitian if at all possible. Check your local hospital, there is generally a weight management clinic where you can consult with one for a very reasonable price. The RD will perform as accurate a body composition analysis as you can find outside of a hydro-static chamber which is the best starting point for determining your actual BMR. The RD will also help you with macro-nutrient ratios and making sensible, maintainable, HEALTHY dietary changes.
  • andric1
    Options
    I have a daily limit set by my personal trainer and dietician at 1200 cals per day, so far this has worked for me for the goals that I am trying to achieve.

Some people my find that 1200 is "wrong" or doesnt work for them, however each person is different and I feel that your comment isn't particulary useful until you fully understand peoples situations and goals. Not having a go, just highlighting that whilst 1200 might have so many things wrong with it for you, it certainly doesnt have anything wrong with it for me.

I'll be honest with you, I don't give half a **** about any personal trainer's opinion, not even if it was my own mother. It's 2012, there's free information everywhere for everyone. Paying for a diet/workout plan is close to the most ridiculous thing you can do nowadays. It just tells me you're too lazy to think for yourself and want a big red button to click that reads "Lose weight". That's not how reality works. You will never know why it worked or more importantly why it didn't work. Any mistake you may have made won't be obvious to you.

1200 is wrong for almost everyone, most likely you too.
    Let's just pretend you really only need some 1500/1600 calories per day. Aren't you working out at all, no cardio, no weightlifting? You will have to increase the amount of calories you eat to be on par with the energy you use up. Unless you're 11 years old I don't think 1200 calories per day is the way to go and judging from your picture you're a little older than that and if you're here to lose weight you most likely aren't underweight, which again would only speak against your plan of 1200 calories per day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shameless self promoting but........

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

This works very well.
    ;D
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend both eat 1200 a day - and I find it more than enough I eat 3 good meals too ... nothing like just fruit for lunch.

example:

breakfast: fruit and fibre + semi skimmed milk + coffee + small fruit bag
    Lunch: weight watchers wrap with salad cream and ham + muller lite yogurt + cherries
    Dinner: 2 pepper grilled steaks + boiled potatoes + veg

also done some cleaning so had 200 cals extra to spare so I will eat fruit an yogurt as supper.

i have lost 14lb so far and even my doctor reads my diary and she says i'm doing well.

So as long as someone's doing it as they should meaning eating 1200 cals + extra earned exersising I dont see why its bad?
    I think only gets 'bad' when people try burn off the full 1200 cals or half etc.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    littlecesar - your same height and weight as me with same amount to lose :) x