Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Options
Has anyone else read/seen/heard of this book? I just picked it up the other day and I'm liking it so far!

Replies

• MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No I haven't, but it sounds interesting. Think I will pick it up.
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    Has anyone else read/seen/heard of this book? I just picked it up the other day and I'm liking it so far!

No, it sounds like a girly novel, is it?
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm gonna look it up now. :) I'm not much of a salad person either so might be a good read.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of it before, but not surviving on salads for the rest of my life is right up my alley!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

No, it sounds like a girly novel, is it?

Wow, really? Sounds like the opposite of a "girly novel", to me. Also, Google is your friend: http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-Chicks-Dont-Eat-Salads/dp/1605299979
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    It is a book by Christine Avanti (a certified nutritionist), who's basic point of the book is that salads should definitely NOT be on the only thing you're eating because if your depriving your body of the things it wants, that is the reason why we binge eat. She actually recommends not eating salads but good hearty foods with the proper balance of healthy fats, carbs, and protein.

Also she talks about how keeping your blood sugar levels stable is the most important key to weightloss because having them too high and too low is what makes you CRAVE sugar. It's very intersting and I find it very helpful! I'm not too far into it yet, but I'm so glad I picked it up!
  • krystyleee
    Options
    It is written by a woman, but anyone can take the advice in the book if you're trying to change to a healthier lifestyle!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Me neither...

On the other hand, no wonder I'm not skinny because I love salads hehehehe
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting and I've never eaten a salad in my life! Why do people think that's the ultimate go to health food?
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Sounds interesting and I've never eaten a salad in my life! Why do people think that's the ultimate go to health food?

I have eaten them, only because I've wanted to lose weight but this book is telling me otherwise! I can't say I'm sad about it, either lol!
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Me neither...

On the other hand, no wonder I'm not skinny because I love salads hehehehe

Lol! Same here! You should check the book out, you can probably find it on amazon pretty cheap. It has very good advice in it. I mean I will still eat salads, but probably not at restaurants. She has a list of restaurants and their caesar salads and most are terrible! You may as well go to Mcdonalds lol! Cheesecake Factory is the worst!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options

because you can have a ton of lettuce for like next to nothing calories. (just a for instance look at subway a veggie delight salad can be around 270 calories no dressing.)
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

because you can have a ton of lettuce for like next to nothing calories. (just a for instance look at subway a veggie delight salad can be around 270 calories no dressing.)

But it CAN be the ultimate health food if you put enough protein on it and don't have too much fatty dressing. I actually don't use dressing at all. I have salads nearly every day for lunch AND dinner. But I always put lots of protein on it, and I mix things up - sundried tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, dried cranberries, feta cheese...I love my salads and don't want to give them up!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    But.... I LIKE salad!!:frown:
  • krystyleee
    Options

But it CAN be the ultimate health food if you put enough protein on it and don't have too much fatty dressing. I actually don't use dressing at all. I have salads nearly every day for lunch AND dinner. But I always put lots of protein on it, and I mix things up - sundried tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, dried cranberries, feta cheese...I love my salads and don't want to give them up!

Lol! That sounds great, I don't think anyone is advising you to give them up!
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good read. I'm still struggling to properly balance food in my new lifestyle. I initially thought salads were the way to go for weight loss and started eating one for lunch everyday for months! It did help. After I stopped, to my surprise, I actually missed it. Now, I incorporate it sporadically into my weekly menu. It's nice to get more options in healthy eating.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with salads however the problem lies in the dressing & toppings which usually consist of bacon flakes, croutons etc. & that's where the calories pile up. If you really love salads, better make one at home. Restaurant salads are no different or in fact even more fattening than the main entree.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love salads and it's part of why I lost weight and kept it off. Salad with lots of vegetables, simple grilled meat, and a small amount of dressing is fantastic. If loving raw veggies makes me fat, then I don't wanna be thin :P
  • krystyleee
    Options
    But.... I LIKE salad!!:frown:

I do too, lol it's not saying you have to give up salad. Obviously salad is good for you until you go to a restaurant and it's topped with breaded chicken, croutons, cripsy tortilla chips and stuff like that. And in the book she talks about how salads are good but NOT when they're made like that. You're ebtter off making them for yourself with oil and vinegar. Not a fatty dressing.

BUT most "dieters" get caught up in eating only salads to lose weight when #1, they don't really like them, and #2, don't know that salads CAN be very unhealthy (the caesar salad at Cheesecake Factory is over 1600 calories!). So people should eat what they enjoy and make sure it is hearty and healthy and something they WANT to eat. If not, it leads to binge eating and unstable levels in blood sugar which is what makes those of us "sweet tooths" crave sugar and things we should have in moderation. :smile:
  • krystyleee
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with salads however the problem lies in the dressing & toppings which usually consist of bacon flakes, croutons etc. & that's where the calories pile up. If you really love salads, better make one at home. Restaurant salads are no different or in fact even more fattening than the main entree.

EXACTLY, the point of the book, and basically what I just explained to someone else. No one is saying not to eat a salad lol. Especially if you like them!