Morning workouts ...

Options

Replies

• lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 - at the gym by 4:45 for about an hour workout. It isn't ideal (I'd much rather sleep), but with kids and work and everything else, the only time I have is the crack of dawn! It hurts to get out of bed that early, but once I'm at the gym and moving, I'm fine. The nice part is that the gym is relatively quiet at that time!

I'm trying for this time. Right now I get up at 5am and start cardio about 5:20am. I would like to be at the gym by 5am for a 45-60 min session of cardio.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to get used to the 5 am workouts. I'm not saying they are 'second nature' yet but they are easier. Now some mornings I don't feel like doing my normaly hard workout (like this morning) and then I still do an evening workout with it. I normally run or do a circuit training workout but this morning I just wasn't into it and only walked. This evening I'll do a run probablly 6 miles.

It does get easier as you continue to get up but I think what makes it easier is that I get up that early even on days I don't have to go to work. Consistency is what is good for me.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to the gym, I'm up and out of my house and at the gym by 5am. If I'm biking or jogging by my house, I'm outside and have started at 5am. But I'm the type of person once my alarm goes off, I'm up and ready to go lol
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I get up at 5:30am every morning to go jogging. I am then at the swimming pool by 7am to do an hour of swimming.

I love my morning workouts! They leave me bursting with energy for the rest of the day! Having a young daughter has got me used to the early starts i think!

I work full time and this time in the morning is the only time I get to myself but I find that at night I don't have the energy or the enthusiasm to exercise.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It took about 4 weeks for it to get easier for me. Of coursr the heat and humidity in th evenings here helps to get me on up in the mornings also. I get up at 5:15 and walk from 5:30 to 6:30 and have to be at work at 8. I just had to decide I would rather have free evenings and walk when it is a little cooler. Most mornings is still hard but after I get started I am fine and it is well worth it to me to get it done in the mornings!! Good luck to you!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your morning workouts? When I switched to morning workouts I had a specific agenda. I either signed up for a crossfit class or swam laps. The class was a paid class and if you didn't cancel 3 hours before, you got charged anyway so it forced me to get up and get to class. Lap swimming is only for 1.5 hours each morning before they open the pool to the neighborhood terrorists so if I don't get up and get my laps in, I can't get my workout in. Now it just comes as second nature to get up and workout.

I sometimes workout after work too, and find that if I do cardio in the morning and strength training in the afternoon, I stay in the best shape.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to hate morning workouts! I mean, I still do not enjoy getting up at 4:30am to do it but after - I feel great!! And for the rest of the day I have so much energy! I was doing my workouts after I put my daughter to sleep, but I found that I was having a hard time sleeping because I had so much energy afterward. So, I switched to mornings.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts will never be easy for me.. that's why I typically workout in the evening LOL
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00 Mon-Fri (5:00 on Sat and Sun) to workout. I do it because I know it's the only time I have. I love lifting and running, so it's pretty easy for me to just get up and do it. Gotta make sure you go to bed early enough.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I always hated morning work outs. Now I try to get out of bed at 520 when the first alarm goes off for the BF. At the gym for 540 but someday I dont want to get up that early to I will go after work. I saw that you have kids so that gets a little more tricky but you will find your routine. :) Try getting to bed a half hour earlier if you can. That might help a little too.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options

What time someone is able to wake up really just depends on what time they go to bed. For a while, I used to get up at 4am but only because I went to bed around 8pm.

+1
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My alarm clock is set for 5:00am, but I'm usually awake 15 to 30 minutes before it goes off. I've always been a morning person, so I guess it is second nature to me. Once I'm up, I'm up! I do 30 minutes on my elliptical machine, then I'm out the door to walk my dog for another 15 to 20 minutes. Afterwards, I'm back home to shower and get dressed for work. I leave my house anytime between 6:15 and 6:30am to get to work.

Working out in the evenings is what I feel is a bit harder for me to do! After working all day, all I want to do is go home, flop-down on the sofa and call it a day! However, I sometimes have to force myself to change from my work clothes to my gym clothes and head out to the gym, but once I'm there, I'm there and get to it!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    They never get easier if it's early, but I suppose that depends upon each person's defenition of early. I get up at either 4am or 5am depending upon my schedule for work, to exercise, because I know if I wait to the end of the day it's likely not gonna happend. 5am I have no real issue with but 4am is a killer, but I still do it when I have to, as I find morning just gives me more energy for the full day.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im surprised to hear so many of you DONT like morning workouts!
    I figured it was just because I was overweight that I was tired and lacked energy..

I have twins, so I know what early mornings are about (well I used to, they've been great sleepers since they were 3 months old)
    Now they dont get up until 830am and they are 3 yrs old .. so I'm up and out the door before they even wake up!!

I go walking every morning currently .. figured if I could get a routine going then I'd look at joining a gym.
    But I need to prove to myself I will use my gym membership first ...therefore if I can walk at least 3-5 times a week in the MORNING
    I will join a gym in the fall .....

thanks for all the tips!
  • cvance3
    cvance3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I use the gym in my office building, so I'm up super early (4:15am) to commute into the city, and start my workout at about 5:10am. I'm not sure that it's second nature (I've been doing this for over a year and I totally do NOT get up at that early on weekends!), but having my "gym buddies" training with me each morning make it much easier to get going!

Maybe having something (favorite machine/workout, class, or people) can help make going to the gym so early a little more bearable?
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When do they start getting easier????

The workout isnt so bad, it's dragging myself out of bed that early!

Well all know with obesity also comes fatigue ... when does one start taking over the other and the fatigue go away???

I'm doing it but I wish I was happy to get moving in the morning. When I get there I am, but not beforehand! :(
    When did it start becoming 2nd nature to you?

I think getting out of bed is a workout on its own, hahaha. I wish I had the energy for morning workouts!
  • mcosme25
    mcosme25 Posts: 26
    Options
    I love early am work outs. I get up at 4:30 and hit the gym at 5:30 5x a week. Since I have done this I have concistantly worked out for 9 months now. With work, family and having a social life, it is the only time I can get to work out with slacking cause family or friends interrupt my time. If you are single... and no kids then you can do it when ever but for me, early am has been the key to 61lbs loss.
    Go to bed early and it starts to become 2nd nature!
  • Akeish30
    Akeish30 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so glad to hear that seemingly everyone has the same issues I have. the best answer I heard...go to bed on time. THAnks for the tips and letting me know I am not alone.
  • obxwoman
    obxwoman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 4:30 a.m. to work out because knowing myself I knew I would never go to the gym after working all day . . . it took a good couple of months before it became "easier". It's still incredibly difficult to get up that early but now if I don't get up and go I don't feel right all day -- I actually miss working out and knowing that is what gets my butt out of bed every day! Keep at it and it will become second nature . . . just try to sqeeze in naps now and then - that really helps! Good luck!
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love my early morning workouts (I go at 5:15 several mornigns a week). Now that it's summer and my kids aren't in school I had to switch to the evening which I don't like as much. I am ready for school to start again. I feel so energized getting it in the morning.