Mud Run advice!

Options
lsilly15
lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
Well folks I have my LoziLu mud run coming up this saturday. Any tips on how to conquer the obstacles and the running in the mud? Also what should I wear?

Replies

• Karla_Witha_K
    Karla_Witha_K Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the LoziLu mud run this Saturday too! I just did my first mud run (Rebel Race) two Saturday's ago (aka the hottest day of the year) and let me tell you...it was brutal. But soooo much fun! My biggest advice would be to come totally prepared (mentally and physically) for anything. And I mean ANYTHING! Here's my advice for anyone interested in doing a mud run:

1. Drink plenty of water starting a few days before and throughout the day
    2. Wear compression shorts that won't ride up or fall down during your run. If you chaffe during running, compression shorts (if long enough) can prevent that to make your run smoother all alround
    3. Wear a shirt, sports bra, and shoes that you don't mind getting dirty and possibly throwing away. At the rebel race there was a mountain of shoes that people discarded because they couldn't be salvaged.
    4. Arrive early so you don't have to rush through check-in and you can check your bag and calm your mind before your wave
    5. Have fun! You're going to get muddy but enjoy it! You can do it!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I did the warrior dash last year and was glad I wore running pants that covered my knees! It was fun, I don't know anything about the run you are doing, but if it is crowded and there are obstacles, they can be slick so just be prepared for that, and have a ton of fun!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Practice by actually running in mud first! A bunch of my friends are preparing for that crazy Tough Mudder race, and one of the things they're doing is trying to simulate (most) of the obstacles in the practice. Last week they ran through the river to get the feel of that and of running in soaking wet shoes/clothes after.

The tips from Knbloch up above are really good - especially # 3. I saw photos of a friend's mud run pics on Facebook yesterday, and he had lost a shoe (which he found later) in the mud. That's one of those things you might not ever think of until it happens.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    duct tape ur shoes on
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    ~Definitely wear old sneakers you dont mind trashing (most likely discarding).

~Triple knot your shoes. If the mud is thick they will pull them right off and you don't want to run the rest of the way without them. (I witnessed this happening at Warrior Dash)

~ Push yourself and try every obstacle! You paid big $$ to participate so enjoy the challenge!

~ ***Keep an extra change of clothes, a towel and a cheap gallon or two of water in the car for the final clean-off before you head home. The showers/fire hoses are crowded and inadequate to get all the mud off. You will find it caked in places you never dreamed! *******************

- Keep your finishing medal muddy. It looks way cool hanging caked with dried mud and brings back fun memories!

~ HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I did a Warrior dash in April. It crazy fun! Knbloch12 gave you some great advise...Carb load for dinner, duct tape your shoes on, drink at every station, use the bathroom before you start your race and wear stuff that wont chafe,drag or snag on stuff. tight fitting clothes are good. Have a blast!!:drinker:
  • cinroa
    cinroa Posts: 15
    Options
    I just finished my run this weekend. It was awesome. Wear old sneakers and they will get trashed.

Take extra Jugs of water as there are lines and lines to wash off and you will be shock what you find in your shirt when you get back to the car.

Extra clothing.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Record it if you can we had a blast our group and ready for another round.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i just did a mud run a couple weeks ago! the Rugged Maniac one in Brooklyn. Three things I found very VERY helpful were my training gloves, bandana and my dry wick running pants that went below my knees. the training gloves are multipurpose and gives you a much better grip which is really gonna help with the obstacles. and if you happen to be doing any crawling, a little something extra to protect your knees will help. the bandana helped because it kept my hair out of my eyes during all of the obstacles. other then that you can wear old sneakers you dont mind throwing out bc they will get really nasty lol. everyone pretty much said everything else you'll need. good luck and have fun! i really really enjoyed mine! warrior dash is next for me!