Increased Workouts and HUNGRY

Options
Hey guys,
I know I've seen posts about this topic before, but I didn't see a recent one so I'm just posting a new one. I've been working out quite a bit more recently. Running about 15 miles a week (which isn't the problem) and recently started lifting twice a week (which IS the problem). I've noticed that since I've started lifting, my appetite has soared through the roof, and as a result I find myself binge-eating in the afternoons. For some reason, the afternoons are when I'm my hungriest. Just wondering what you all do to combat all that extra hunger. More protein? Any specific ideas on filling foods that will fuel my workouts? Thanks!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Protein, that you already said, would be the first thing that comes to mind. With your increased workouts, your body needs more fuel so its going to let you know its hungry.

I started getting to the point too where I was so hungry I couldn't stand it so the first thing I upped was my vegetable intake. Instead of a cup of green beans (or any low cal green veggie) I eat 3-4 cups. Add a piece of chicken breast and a small side salad, you have a giant meal for only about 250 calories.

Eggs are a great source of protein too. I make egg sandwiches with cheese and a side of more vegetables. I don't cook much for myself so I eat a lot of sandwiches. You can also get canned chicken breast or tuna if you want something right then, real quick.

Edit: also, I pad my sandwiches with lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions or a side of celery sticks to add bulk without many calories.
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    I agree with adding more veggies... it seems like you are eating a ton of food but you really aren't... and the protein would make sense since by lifting weights you are building muscle... I tend to be hungrier in the evenings because I am not so on the go... if you figure out a way to make the appetite more even through the day and night... let me know :) gl friend
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to eat what your body actually needs due to the extra demand you are placing on it. You not only need more energy in the form of food to fuel your workouts, but additional energy to help repair muscle and connective tissue post-workout. For starters, up your protein so that you are getting about 1g per lb of lean body mass.

Before I give more suggestions, what is your primary goal right now? Gaining lean muscle mass, reducing body fat percentage, etc?