How many inches is too many...

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
inches lost to get your pants tailored? I have lost about 6 inches on my waist and none of my pants fit. Is six inches too much to get a tailor to bring in?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    IMHO I would say more than 2-4" and it's more work than it's worth....seat..etc. Buy new pants. Unless they are REALLY expensive pants.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    IDK ask your tailor, maybe? By the way, WELL DONE!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: donate the pants.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    At that point, I'd donate them, especially if the tailor is going to have to take the pants in down the legs too.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    At a six inch difference, I'd definitely just get new pants. You deserve it :) They will probably not look right after that much tailoring - At that point, it's not just the waist, it's also the thighs.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm trying to limit spending but since I wear at least a shirt and tie every day and a suit on other days, I need a lot of clothes lol. I guess its time to seek out some bargains.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do some tailoring and I agree that more than a few inches and what you're essentially doing is having them cut new pants from existing cloth, not bringing in some seams. That's not bad, per say, if the fabric is expensive and you get a good tailor, however it is essentially a brand new garment vs an alteration, so plan to pay accordingly. Anything cheaper is going to look it.

The thing about pants is that there is a low of allowance you don't realize is given to you when they're larger. It's not as simple as taking the sides in, or adjusting the waistband. Especially for those with a big 'pooch', your slacks are meant to conceal that as flatteringly as possible, and generally there is more room that needs to be removed there than anywhere else (for men, ladies generally have a good bit in the rear as well).

I would suggest getting new slacks. I've been avoiding taking some of mine in because I feel I'm at the point of diminishing returns, haha!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If money is an issue, put stuff that's too big on Ebay and use the proceeds to buy stuff that fits. :drinker:
  • KissMyAx
    KissMyAx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Haha! So not what I was thinking!