StrongLifts 5X5 Program - Any Women Doing It?

Options
TinaDay1114
TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
Just started reading about this program, b/c it seems a bit easier to start with than the "New Rules of Lifting for Women."

Any ladies out there doing it already? Any advice? Any feedback, or progress reports?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it, there's a board for it. I did NR and I'm doing SL . . . I'm planning on going back to NR by the end of the summer. I probably would have already, but with as crazy as my life has been I haven't wanted to change too much.
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been lifting for...3.5 years now, my latest sets have been 5x5s, to build strength.

Really, the most important element is to lift HEAVY. Not pink dumbbells, but HEAVY. Heavy is: when you're at failure by the end of 5 sets. When you're struggling at the 5 rep of each set. That's heavy. Don't be afraid of it, embrace it and you'll benefit.

The routine I'm doing has me squatting with every lifting visit to the gym. Before I injured my hamstring (doing something non-sports related), I was squatting 155 and on track to increase again.

overall benefits: better behind and legs, better core, overall strength increased. I'm much better now for hiking / biking / climbing as a result.

Then again, I can't endorse lifting heavy enough in general. I simply can't - I'm like a broken record: lift, lift, lift. :) When I started lifting for real (not machines), quickly dropped clothing sizes and the shape of my body changed. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. I'm digging it so far!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Thanks, girls! And thanks for pointing me to the board / group. I shoulda searched before I posted, and always forget. :blushing:
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Been at it for a while - surprising results.

The one thing I would add to the above is to be safe at all times - no new personal best is worth a serious injury.
    When you're trying a new weight, use safety equipment (squat rack / bench rack / smith machine) or have someone spot you. If it feels risky, don't do it, leave for another day when you're more rested.

I've plateaued on my bench press because I train at an all-women's gym where no one seems to lift more than 10kg, so not about to ask them to spot for 30kg, and there's no racks.
    (changing gyms for this very reason once contract finishes).

Addit: don't want to be a spoil sports, but speaking from experience. Enjoy the challenge! :smile: