BMR question

Options
Ive been reading some of the posts this morning and when I calculated my BMR it's saying 1858 for the lowest calculation. I'm not super active but I'm not a couch potato so I'm thinking more like the 2nd # 2125 would be more accurate for me. But to me that seems like Waaaaaay too many calories! I think If I ate 2125 calories a day I'd be gaining weight, even if they were good food choices. How is that BMR possible? I've been eating about 1400 a day and I'm not loosing much at all. I can't immagine eating more would help the problem.

Replies

• love2nicks
    love2nicks Posts: 21
    Options
    bumping this up because it got burried fast LOL
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weight?

When you say active, what does that mean? Are you running 5 miles a day and benching 100+ pounds etc? Or do you just assume walking from your kitchen to your bedroom is active?

Really, we need full details here to even begin to help you. We also need to see your diary so we can look at the foods you are eating.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    That's a high BMR unless you're very active. Are you sure you don't mean TDEE? Also, what are your stats? Height, weight, male or female, etc.
  • love2nicks
    Options
    I don't know what TDEE is? I'm 5'3 and weigh 220 female. I work out cardio either at the gym or walking the dog 45-60 min about 5/6 days a week I aim for 7 but that doesn't always happen. Cardio for me is eliptical or treadclimber. not running or anything hardcore, but it's more than I used to do, which was nothing :D And when I'm home I very rarely sit and do nothing until about 9 at night. I am on the move alot doing housework etc.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Calculate your BMR here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    Calculate your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Now take TDEE and multiple it by 0.80

If your BMR > TDEEx0.80 then try to eat your BMR.

Basically, LONG TERM weighloss is done by eating in between BMR and TDEE. If you eat too few calories, after a few weeks your body gets a hint and figures you are starving and starts adjusting to protect you.

I highly doubt you got to 220 in a matter of weeks, so getting the weight down wont be a matter of weeks either. Think long term.
  • love2nicks
    Options
    thanks. I got a TDEE of 2695 and a BMR of 1739 so the BMR is lower, that's still alot of calories isn't it?
    I calculated the TDEE with the lower end of exercise and came up with a TDEE of 2390 so either way the #s are higher than I thought.
    If I have to eat more I will but I really don't want to :(
  • DanaDark
    Options
    So eat between 1739 and 2390 calories.

Trust me, I know EXACTLY how you feel about not wanting to eat more. I am scared about it myself and am actively trying to work on it too. What made me say "Yes, this must be..." is when I was reading some articles written by lovely members here and someone noted that when you eat bellow your BMR, you eventually stall out (which I have done many times, which always lead me to give up). AND they mentioned that the whole eating under BMR and excessive cardio leads to the "skinny fat" physique, which I totally have, I knew they weren't BSing. They basically said EXACTLY what I was doing and then said it would lead EXACTLY to what I am.

So, I am with you on this. It's tough. Scary I know. I suggest you try and do weight lifting to gain some muscle and add in enough protein to cover it.

The numbers are there. They really are. And my own life experience showed me what happens when I think I know better. Sure maybe it won't cause 2 or 3 pounds a week or even create miracles overnight... but we want this long term right? We don't want to lose a ton of weight, feel great and then gain it all back and wonder what happened!

Log EVERYTHING you eat. And I mean everything. Every piece of gum, every berry, every glass of water, etc. It does wonders.
  • love2nicks
    Options
    Thanks for your input :) It makes me feel a little better. I'm a bit afraid of food lately so I think that's leading me to this conclusion. Everyone has been telling me I need to eat more, but I just don't want to Like I said before.
    I will try to find healthy ways to increase my caloric intake. More nuts!