cafeteria food where i work.

Options
2»

Replies

• Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous! Are you able to go out for lunch a few times a week? Perhaps that way you can buy something a little healthier AND get some exercise in. (Perhaps walk to a park and eat it there?)... If not, can you give us a typical list of foods that they frequently offer there? Otherwise, it doesn't sound like there is much to do about this. If there are NO healthy options, this seems absolutely horrible. Personally, I would be talking to someone about this. If they are forcing the adults to eat this unhealthy food to set a "good example" for the little ones, someone needs to be notified. That is definitely setting those kids up for problems later on in life if they are being fed the wrong information as to what is healthy or not.

I don't know the whole situation, so I'm sorry if any of this is not applicable. Good luck to you!
  • dougalcampbell
    Options
    "In Soviet Russia, cafeteria lunch chooses YOU."

So, I assume that means that the *kids* aren't allowed to bring food from home either? Is this some sort of private facility? Because I can't imagine that would be legal in a public school?
  • Tgooge123
    Tgooge123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Headstart and boy we run a tight ship.. I have thought about getting doctors note. Breaded fake nuggets, lots of canned green beans they also add seasoning to. Some frozen veggies for soups. Grits turkey sausage. Sometimes ground turkey for spaghetti .. the food is awful. Canned peaches strawberrys in a sugary syrup.. ugh..
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I call BS, They can have you not eat infront of the children but can not tell you have to eat the same food as the kids. What kind of "school" is this

I call BS too! Is this a correctional facility. Even so what place now a days does not offer somewhat healthy selections??? No fruit, veggies? C'mon, something stinks!
  • EellaK
    EellaK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd get a doctor's excuse. If your school food is fairly typical, I don't think you'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor who said, for example, that you had to limit sodium or something.
  • Tgooge123
    Options
    I work for headstart.. children with allergies are served alternatives. No brown bagging allowed.
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    I work for headstart.. children with allergies are served alternatives. No brown bagging allowed.

The Head Start Program is a program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides comprehensive education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement services to low-income children and their families.

No Wonder! Government run !
  • Tgooge123
    Options
    I plan on it.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Are you full time? Surely you are given a lunch break? What prevents you from eating a brought lunch on your lunch break?
  • danacr73
    danacr73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Where I teach, our dress code prohibits wearing tennis shoes unless you have a note from your doctor. On the same pretense a note from the doctor may prevent you from eating THAT food. I would have to do something because I would not be able to stomach school food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The Head Start Program is a program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides comprehensive education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement services to low-income children and their families.

No Wonder! Government run !

Exactly! The Nanny State is killing us! :mad:

I would go for the doctor's note if it were me. Remind this government institution about federal laws, and they can't turn you down without facing a lawsuit. Bastages! All of them! :explode:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    But..........there are no healthy choices??
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Do they search you when you go into work? Could you sneak in a couple protein bars or something until you get a doctor's excuse written? I am baffled by this whole thing. What does everyone else at work do about the food?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you full time? Surely you are given a lunch break? What prevents you from eating a brought lunch on your lunch break?
    What prevents her from eating a brought lunch? The rules. That's the point of the thread.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    Big Government, you scary.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    give us a idea of what the typical daily menu is and if they offer any fruits, veggies, yogurt, milk, chicken, turkey, fish, whole wheat bread, oatmeal???
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What prevents her from eating a brought lunch? The rules. That's the point of the thread.

I didn't necessarily mean within the building...on her lunch break she should have the right to leave the building and go home or eat in her car. That was my point.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Headstart and boy we run a tight ship.. I have thought about getting doctors note. Breaded fake nuggets, lots of canned green beans they also add seasoning to. Some frozen veggies for soups. Grits turkey sausage. Sometimes ground turkey for spaghetti .. the food is awful. Canned peaches strawberrys in a sugary syrup.. ugh..

Sad for you and sad for the kids! Ugh! Well, frozen veg is better than canned, turkey sausage is ok.....can you pull together a reasonable lunch from a couple entrees and throw away the rest? Whoever said "Big Government, you scary" is so right.

School nutrition seems to get some good attention in the media these days. Maybe all of you teachers and staff need to start writing letters.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Pure poppycock.