Flour

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
Has anyone tried the Brown Rice Flour or Coconut Flour?

I am trying to find some different alternatives that are gluten free to cook with. I have to stay away from barley and corn. I am not fond of flax seed. I have used oat flour before and that is good. Sourgum is not my favorite either.

I saw those today and wondered how they are.

Replies

• Eve23
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Brown Rice Flour or Coconut Flour?

I am trying to find some different alternatives that are gluten free to cook with. I have to stay away from barley and corn. I am not fond of flax seed. I have used oat flour before and that is good. Sourgum is not my favorite either.

I saw those today and wondered how they are.
  • alaskagal
    Options
    I've tried the coconut flour. It's all doable but takes some getting used to. It's definitely not the same as good ol' white flour but it's okay. Sorry this isn't much help. I rarely use it but I'm trying to switch to using it more.

:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free blend. It's a little "beany" as the primary ingredient is garbanzo flour, so I blend in other things. I often use cornmeal, (but I seem to remember you have corn sensitivities). I've almost perfected a "gluten free pizza" (which to me is the holy grail of non-wheat eating) with it.

When I use it for sweeter things (I make a carrot cake that has everything in the world in it) I really can't tell the diff. between it and white wheat flour.

I've tried the brown rice flour, but haven't had success. I think I need to find better proportions, or add other things to it, or something.

I'm very intrigued by the coconut flour. . .how neutral is the taste?
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thank you Alaskagal. I didn't buy the coconut flour yet because it is sort of spendy. But I am definately curious about it. I think when I get a chance I will definately try it.

Thanks vivia. I knew you may have an answer for me. I am slowly taking the gluten out of the foods we eat. My daughter has a very obvious problem with it and it makes me think that my son also does even though he would never admit such a problem to anyone. Its sort of an experiment. However I have noticed that I do feel better.

We do use some corn products and my mom is perfecting a high protein/fiber pancake that has some corn in it. It was sooooo goood. I have to get her exact recipe. She has been playing with it a little the last couple weeks. I will let you know what the recipe is when I finally get the particulars. It does have chia seeds in it. We have been using those for about a year now.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    You would be the hero of my universe for the pancake recipe!

I'm still tweaking the pizza recipe, so maybe we could trade?:flowerforyou: <
    "flour" for you. . .LOL
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Is spelt a problem? It appears in most gluten free foods. I'm going to the farmer's market today where there is a place that sells only gluten free foods - I think they use spelt, but I could check.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I have spelt issues, but some gluten-sensitive people don't.

I think it's pretty closely related to wheat. My no-nos are: Barley, Rye, Oats, Wheat and Spelt. I find that now if I have a small amount of wheat (like to thicken a sauce in a restaurant) I'm usually OK. I just think my system gets overwhelmed with too much. (Like, sigh. . .a pizza).
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I have spelt issues, but some gluten-sensitive people don't.

I think it's pretty closely related to wheat. My no-nos are: Barley, Rye, Oats, Wheat and Spelt. I find that now if I have a small amount of wheat (like to thicken a sauce in a restaurant) I'm usually OK. I just think my system gets overwhelmed with too much. (Like, sigh. . .a pizza).

Wow. I'm so sorry. That's half my diet. What about quinoa flour? There's a macrobiotic restaurant in town that frequently has gluten free meals. I'll try to check out what they use for flour in their cookbook. I rarely go since my husband doesn't like the place.
  • Eve23
    Options
    MMM some more ideas to try. I will check some of those out. Thanks

I will get the recipe for you. She cooked them in butter but that was the only fat per say in the pancakes. The chia seeds make it unnecesary to use oil. There is also no milk.