How "bad" is bread for reals?

Options
I love making bread at home. White, whole wheat, sourdough - LOVE it. I can think of nothing better than toast for breakfast. Lovely lovely toast with jam and honey.

But I get this message about DON'T EAT CARBS and BREAD IS BAD.

Break it down for me, people. How "bad" is making a loaf of bread and having a couple of slices in the morning with my eggs?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eating an entire loaf of bread = very bad. Eating 2 slices of whole wheat bread a day is healthy. Sometimes I even eat white breads or crusty french breads...it's all about moderation and learning correct portion sizes.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It is not.

If it fit in your macro eat the bread. This is a lifestyle....unless you intend to never eat bread again, why cut it out now? Carbs are great fuel for cardio.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    S'all about portioning! Almost anything can be bad if you eat too much of it! :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Make the bread, eat the bread, count the bread. Done.

Unless you eat the whole loaf, you're good. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    There's this "grain free" diet that a lot of people follow. The people who say "CARBS ARE BAD!" are full of s***, to be honest. Carbs are our #1 source for energy. If we never ate any carbs, we wouldn't be able to function properly, nor would we be able to do high intensity workouts, or workout for long periods of time.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's not "bad".
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't bad.

I take two sandwiches a day to work since a slice of turkey, two slices of good bread and some spread and low fat mayo comes to 140 calories. I'm losing at a healthy rate.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    When I think of the term 'bad' I think 'low in nutrition'. Bread has a nice amount of iron and b vitamins. Also, fibre! Eat it!! (but not too much :)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. What is bad is overloading on carbs without burning the excess off. This leads to weight gain, as well as many other factors. A couple slices a day is great. Moderation is key.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Bread is a delight that no human being should be expected to live without.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    it's not bad, just the same as a 1/2 cup ice cream at about 200-250cals isn't bad either if it fits into your macros (it's good for your spirtual diet :smile: )
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    it's not bad, just the same as a 1/2 cup ice cream at about 200-250cals isn't bad either if it fits into your macros (it's good for your spirtual diet :smile: )

Thats "expensive" bread, the stuff I eat is 50 calories a slice?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1-10 to rate how bad bread is, I'd put it at a 0.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad at all. I eat bread virtually every day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of wheat toast (with peanut butter even!) a day. Fits in my macro plan, I love bread.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You can even put your bread recipes into the MFP recipe calculator, and figure out which of your bread recipes fit best into your typical eating patterns!

Edit: In all fairness, some people become overweight due to hormonal issues, which are often carbohydrate-sensitive, so they might want to skip out on the white bread.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It is not.

If it fit in your macro eat the bread. This is a lifestyle....unless you intend to never eat bread again, why cut it out now? Carbs are great fuel for cardio.

Great answer! Unless you are carb intolerant for some reason, there is NOTHING wrong with it.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I'll add this: those whole-grain pita flatbread packaged things are a crime against food.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1-10 to rate how bad bread is, I'd put it at a 0.

That's not how scales work lol :wink:
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love bread!