Food suggestions for low carb diet

Options
Hello

Im 2 weeks into a low carb diet and im getting pretty bored of eating eggs, fruit and veggies all the time!

Can anybody suggest any other foods that are good for a low carb diet?

Replies

• Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    do you eat meat? A lot of meats are low in carbs.

FF plain greek yogurt is on the low side as is plain cottage cheese, and cheese. But watch the fat and sodium in cheese.
  • NikkiTompson
    NikkiTompson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello

Im 2 weeks into a low carb diet and im getting pretty bored of eating eggs, fruit and veggies all the time!

Can anybody suggest any other foods that are good for a low carb diet?

Meat is really high in protein and low in carbs. Hubby and I usually buy the chicken chargrills from the frozen section in Asda or tesco.. 2 of those are only 310 calories and hardly any carbs - in fact very low in carbs and good amount of protein. also they are rather tasty and you can get different flavours.. all are great.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Sounds horribly unhealthy and unsustainable.

But hey, it's you're body!

How bout:
    Spaghetti squash with ground turkey marinara
    Stuffed chicken breast (think cordon blue)
    Thai lettuce wraps
    Cabbage rolls sans rice
    Cedar plank salmon (on BBQ)

I hope you cook...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    meat
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Fish is good. Yogurt, too. Stir frys with the veggies and some fish or chicken makes a good meal. I just skip the rice.

Low carb is certainly sustainable....and not unhealthy. But not so low that you dont get enough. I shoot for about 100g a day.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    crock pot buffalo chicken lettuce wraps (So good, and easy)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html
  • callhimrodneyafterdave
    Options
    Thanks for the response, im not cutting carbs completely out of my diet but just trying to keep it between 40-70 per day

I have been eating plenty of meats and fish but I finding stuff to go with is what I have been finding hard as you normally have rice/potatoes/pasta and all are high in carbs!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the joy of chuckroast in a crockpot, much better than other cuts I've tried, and crockpot cooking is super easy. Ribeye steak is also good. Ground sirloin is okay even without a bun. Avoid deliberately buying leaner cuts of meat, on low carb, you need fat in your diet. Plus, higher fat cuts are juicier and tastier anyway!

I'm trying to stay away from a stereotypical staple, bacon, until I find nitrite free bacon somewhere. I also like feta, chedder, and gouda. My gouda has zero carbs in it, so that's my current go-to snack.

Edit: Oh yeah, sides: Spinach and portabello mushrooms with some feta and gouda mixed in make an awesome salad. And I normally hate salad!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    *insert passive aggressive/condescending response because I don't personally agree with your dietary choices*

Oh, somebody did that already, nevermind. Carry on!

For my real response: natural peanut butter (no additives at all, just peanuts), turkey bacon om nom nom, cottage cheese, soy milk, edamame
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you can add me and check out my diary.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

Sounds horribly uneducated and ignorant.
  • alanabeehave
    Options

I'm a nutritionist.
  • callhimrodneyafterdave
    Options
    How about educating me on what I should be doing rather than what I shouldn't be doing?!

Just a thought
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb too, I eat lots of chicken breast, ham of all sorts, beef etc. This weekend I made a few curries and a zuchinni Lasagne - zuchinni instead of pasta :)

Lots of salads too. I'm getting kinda sick of my meanus though, I hope more people comment with ideas :)
  • sweetsarahj
    Options

I'm trying to stay away from a stereotypical staple, bacon, until I find nitrite free bacon somewhere.

Argh I try to go easy on the nitrates too, they are in everything! A couple weeks ago I made homemade beef jerky, it came out sooo good! I highly recommend :)
  • Raver32
    Raver32 Posts: 2
    Options
    And yet my doctor (GP), nutritionist and pharmacist all support and recommend very low-carb diets for those that wish to follow one. The science on this subject is moving forward so rapidly nowadays, its difficult to keep up with the latest research and findings.
  • sweetsarahj
    Options
    How about educating me on what I should be doing rather than what I shouldn't be doing?!

Just a thought

Meh, there are a lot of know-it-alls out there. Just because someone has a degree, doesn't mean they are an expert.

Bottom line is YOU do what works for YOU. I carb-cycle so on "low" days I aim at under 70 grams carbs and "high" days are about 150 grams. I still have enough carbs to feel good and fuel my workouts. Occasionally I might have a day where I feel tired or low-energy and an extra serving of fruit takes care of that.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options

I'm a nutritionist.

So then as a nutritionist you've never heard of diabetes, insulin resistance or PCOS? Low carb is a way of life for many and can be very healthy and easily sustainable.
  • callhimrodneyafterdave
    Options

Just a thought

Meh, there are a lot of know-it-alls out there. Just because someone has a degree, doesn't mean they are an expert.

Bottom line is YOU do what works for YOU. I carb-cycle so on "low" days I aim at under 70 grams carbs and "high" days are about 150 grams. I still have enough carbs to feel good and fuel my workouts. Occasionally I might have a day where I feel tired or low-energy and an extra serving of fruit takes care of that.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, im not cutting carbs completely out of my diet but just trying to keep it between 40-70 per day

I have been eating plenty of meats and fish but I finding stuff to go with is what I have been finding hard as you normally have rice/potatoes/pasta and all are high in carbs!

try regular vegetables as sides (like broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, cabbage, etc.)

also, cauliflower makes an amazing "rice" and/or "mashed potato" side.