Which scale is right?

Options
I have recently weighed myself on 3 different scales: (1) at work (hospital) on a doctor's scale, (2) at home on a bathroom scale (the kind that turns) and (3) at the gym on a doctor's scale. They give WILDLY different readings.

(1) 147 (this morning - last week I was 150)
(2) 153 (this morning)
(3) 164 (last week, after my workout)

Obviously, it's not a well controlled experiment - but how do I know which one to believe? I've just been sticking with one (the first one) to monitor progress, but I would like to know my ACTUAL weight.

Replies

• mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had similar problems. I had weighed myself at my parent's house the first time and lost inches and weighed myself at the gym and was more weight than I had started, but a week later went back to my parent's house and was 3 pounds less than the scale had said at the gym.

I totally understand your frustration of not knowing.

I feel like the most accurate one would have to be the ones you stand on at the Dr office and they move that thing until it balances.

Scales you buy from the store all tell you an accurary percentage. The one I just bought yesterday said something about 0.2. Don't know how that would translate weight wise but I am going to weigh myself on it tonight.

It's hard when you go on different scales and weight is totally different so I would for sure stick with the original scale you used.

If you find a better answer, let me know!
  • amanada11
    amanada11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The wonky part is that I've used two of those doctor scales with the sliding weights and they are about 15+ pounds apart. *sigh* I would like to think I'm closer to the lowest one but that is probably wishful thinking. I'm just going with the same scale to keep it relative in terms of tracking weight loss. (Although I should probably go for maintenance at this point, lest I get yelled at by the seamstress again!)
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would say just use the same scale, and not use any other scale. It can be really encouraging or discouraging depending on what it reads.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you really want to test it, put a gym weight on the scale and see if it reads accurately. Of course no method is perfect but it should be at least a pound or two within accuracy.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. My parents scale said I was 164. I work in a hospital also and have a Dr. scale by my desk. It said i was 174. (which is also what my chart says at the Dr.'s office). But there is alot more work that goes into calibrating a Dr.'s scale and they are made with a little more precision. Either way pick one scale and stick to it. That way you can at least keep track of lbs lost!

What I do since I eat a very light breakfast (yogurt and protein bar). When I get to work I wait until I have to pee, then when I'm done I go weigh. It's about the same time every single week and it's NEVER after lunch!

If you work in a hospital I would honestly try a few scales and see if they are all close (within a lb or two) and make sure there is no fluctuation from eating or drinking. But still just pick ONE scale to use.