Disappointing day on the scale

Options
Well I was quite disappointed this morning, I thought I was doing so well but the scale did not confirm that. Although yesterday I made poor choices, I wouldn't think one day would make that much difference. I need to make changes, any suggestions would be welcomed. My diary is open to view. I will be adding cardio for sure. I will not let this get me down, I know I did my best.

Replies

• bakercj13
    bakercj13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't get down! One so-so or bad day on the scale is not the end. Just relaize that no matter what you do in a given week, you will sometimes have so-so or bad results. Use that as motivation to get back what the scale that week took from you! We all have those weeks... The key is to stay strong and don't quit, keep pushing and you will get there.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. I was up this morning too. But you know what? I know for a fact I didn't get the water I needed over the weekend, and I've been doing harder workouts so I'm pretty sure I'm just retaining more water right now. Flushing everything out today. Am I frustrated the scale is up a few pounds? For sure. Does it mean anything bad? Not necessarily. Hang in there!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't get down! One so-so or bad day on the scale is not the end. Just relaize that no matter what you do in a given week, you will sometimes have so-so or bad results. Use that as motivation to get back what the scale that week took from you! We all have those weeks... The key is to stay strong and don't quit, keep pushing and you will get there.

Thanks , I am determined not to let it get to me. Perhpas it will show on the scale next week.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You know, sometimes we put on muscle faster than we lose bodyfat. This can also cause the scale to go up. I gained a little since last week, but my other measurements went down, and so did my body fat.
  • macantrell
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. I was up this morning too. But you know what? I know for a fact I didn't get the water I needed over the weekend, and I've been doing harder workouts so I'm pretty sure I'm just retaining more water right now. Flushing everything out today. Am I frustrated the scale is up a few pounds? For sure. Does it mean anything bad? Not necessarily. Hang in there!

I seem to retain water, I think I will rethink the canadian bacon for awhile too. Thank you!
  • macantrell
    Options
    You know, sometimes we put on muscle faster than we lose bodyfat. This can also cause the scale to go up. I gained a little since last week, but my other measurements went down, and so did my body fat.

I need to remind myself that I feel sooo much better when I eat healthy, that in itself should be enough.
  • macantrell
    Options
    Thankfully I didn't gain, I was just expecting a loss. Expectations results in disappointment, I have to remember this too! :o)
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, I quit putting much value on the scale numbers, becuase I'm noticing the change in my shape and clothes. I weighed the exact same scale number Jan 2011 as I am now....HOWEVER, I'm wearing 2 sizes smaller in tops, jeans, and shorts!
    Don't get discouraged, like you said eating healthier and being healthier is your main goal. :happy:
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight on the scale . However I can feel a lot of changes on my body , I feel firmer, stronger, my clothes are a little looser but the scale tells me I weigh the same . I'm going to ignore the scale and focus on all those other changes I feel and see. I've chosen to only weigh in every 2 weeks so I'm not obsessing about how many lbs I've lost . Keep at it and pay attention to what your bodies telling you not the scale ! It's only a tool to help us if it discourages us what good is it ?
  • macantrell
    Options
    To be honest with you, I quit putting much value on the scale numbers, becuase I'm noticing the change in my shape and clothes. I weighed the exact same scale number Jan 2011 as I am now....HOWEVER, I'm wearing 2 sizes smaller in tops, jeans, and shorts!
    Don't get discouraged, like you said eating healthier and being healthier is your main goal. :happy:

Thank you, knowing others are shrinking is inspiring and you comment means a lot.
  • macantrell
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight on the scale . However I can feel a lot of changes on my body , I feel firmer, stronger, my clothes are a little looser but the scale tells me I weigh the same . I'm going to ignore the scale and focus on all those other changes I feel and see. I've chosen to only weigh in every 2 weeks so I'm not obsessing about how many lbs I've lost . Keep at it and pay attention to what your bodies telling you not the scale ! It's only a tool to help us if it discourages us what good is it ?

Thank you for the friend request, I look forward to supporting you! I am going to work very hard on not giving that stupid scale so much power. I will remember this forever, It's only a tool to help us if it discourages us what good is it ? Soooo true!
  • mmimibeth
    mmimibeth Posts: 9
    Options
    This tool is so exciting! I just started yesterday, and although I have not kept within my calorie range yet, I am eating less than usual, and am exercising. It will just take a bit to get my body used to less food and more water. I drink SO little fluid each day. Do you think adding water to your diet really helps you lose more? It's nice you could post about your disappointing day on the scale and you were able to get some feedback.
  • crysiebrown
    crysiebrown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I totally thought I would have a bigger weight loss today than I did and I was totally bummed. But I will NOT give up. I have lost 17.2 lbs so far and I have a lot to go. You just got to keep pushing yourself. I have to push myself to exercise and eat right, not easy but we can do it!!!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This tool is so exciting! I just started yesterday, and although I have not kept within my calorie range yet, I am eating less than usual, and am exercising. It will just take a bit to get my body used to less food and more water. I drink SO little fluid each day. Do you think adding water to your diet really helps you lose more? It's nice you could post about your disappointing day on the scale and you were able to get some feedback.

Water make a HUGE difference! It is essential for our health and for weight loss!
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I decided over the weekend that I will only do weigh-ins once a week, and I decided to make it on Mondays. Well, I went on the scale and had a higher number than the 2 days before. It was frustrating because I have tried to be really honest when logging my my food and exercise, and I know that I have done more purposeful cardio in the last 2 weeks than in the last year or two, and even began to do some strength training. I feel good, and I like the feeling of my body working hard and working with me to do what I want. So I guess I just expected an 'instant' result, when I should know that won't be the case! Hopefully, next week's weigh-in will give me the affirmation that my hard work is paying off.

We are so used to instant gratification that this process of losing weight and making lifestyle changes the healthy way seems to move in slow motion!