Iron as a Vegetarian

Options
natpalit
natpalit Posts: 113 Member
Hey,

I am vegetarian, have been for a few years. Since starting using MFP I have noticed that I am getting next to no iron most days. I had a blood test done recently, and my iron levels were supposedly fine, but I still worry because MFP tells me I am getting barely any.

My diary is open, I would appreciate suggestions, as to how to get more, and also, if people think there are foods where the nutritional data which has been inputted has perhaps not included the iron content, thus the low totals?

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to get iron in your diet. Green leafy vegetables is just one. If your doctor says your levels are fine, go with that as opposed to what an automated calculator on an online site tells you.

If you feel the need, you could take a supplement.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Iron is commonly found in green leafy vegetables (especially spinach).

Here's a more specific list of iron-rich foods with a vegetarian diet in mind.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/209812-list-of-iron-rich-foods-for-vegetarians/
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just started tracking that myself, though I'm really trying to get into the habit of a daily multivitamin. The few things I have found are spinach (I would imagine other dark leafy greens as well), beans, and some cereals (for me - wheat flakes and grapenut flakes).
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I take a daily multi-vitamin which has 50% of my iron for the day. That plus some dark green veggies, and I'm always over. That being said - I agree with what danadark said. If your doctor says your fine, I would trust them! Nothing wrong with a little extra spinach and kale in your diet, though :)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much until your doctor does. Perhaps just take a multi vitamin with iron during that lovely time of the month when your iron levels are lower.

I'm anemic and they are a God send! Otherwise I am too tired and can't get out of bed for a week a month.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    my favorite website with balanced vegetarian recipes is www.dailygarnish.com
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses is a good iron source as well.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much until your doctor does.

Wholeheartedly disagree. 1) Most young people don't regularly get a full panel of blood work 2) You are your own best defense in terms of preventative medicine
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Multi-grain cheerios are LOADED with iron! Just a tip, in case you have the calories for a bowl of cereal, it's an easy and tasty way to get some more iron in.

And of course green leafy veggies...
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    some oatmeal has 50% daily recommended iron per serving
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you can also cook in cast iron.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I do know that in addition in what you eat, how you cook it can affect how much iron you get. I've slowly expanded my collection of cast iron cookware and they are awesome! (All mine are pre-seasoned from Lodge Logic). When you cook with cast iron, some iron leaks into the food. For most people this is completely harmless or even good for you, especially if you are a female near your time of the month. Cast iron is cheap, lasts forever, conducts and holds heat well, is oven and stove top friendly, and is easy to care for once you get the hang of it. (ie: clean and dry it promptly so that it doesn't rust, or else you have to re-season it). It's heavy though, so just don't drop it on a toe.

I didn't get my cast iron for the extra iron in my diet, but it is a nice bonus. I just got it because I had one piece and liked it, and started to replace some of my other non-stick pans with cast iron as the old non-stick ones wore out.

Enameled cast iron is easier to care for, but doesn't leak iron into your food. If you want your pan to leak iron, use non-enabled and just keep it well seasoned. Plus enameled is expensive.

Only a few very uncommon medical conditions make extra iron a bad thing, so unless your doctor tells you to avoid extra iron, cooking with cast iron is an easy way to get a little boost.
  • t1sh
    t1sh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I also tried tracking Iron on here and quickly realised that most products in the database (that I came across) do not contain iron info. If you have the time you can enter the foods including the iron info yourself as you go along . Personally , I just stopped tracking it . (I'm pretty confident I get enough of it in my food and I'm sure my body will let me know if this changes)
    Anyway , as the Dr. says you're good then you're probably eating the right things already . Taking a supplement when you don't need too 'may' result in you getting too much iron (side effects including , constipation and nausea ) If you're still concerned , go back and see your doctor xx
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much until your doctor does.

Wholeheartedly disagree. 1) Most young people don't regularly get a full panel of blood work 2) You are your own best defense in terms of preventative medicine

I guess you have a point. But if he doctor is saying she doesn't have low iron perhaps an additional supplement isn't needed. Mine makes me sick to my stomach/my heart race quite often so I was simply suggesting she could avoid that if it wasn't absolutely necessary since he doctor says medically her iron levels are fine.

But I suppose it is best to stay ahead of the game.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My friend is anemic so I researched this for her and found out that most vitamins are not absorbed completely by your body but a better brand is New Chapter. Also found out that the iron in spinach is not easily absorbed by our body, and that you should eat a vitamin C rich food when eating Iron rich food to help with absorption.

You can buy oatmeal that have iron added to it. Take a spirulina vitamin, it's a type of algae. Other sources:
    green leafy vegetables
    tofu
    beans
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Often iron isn't listed in the nutritional information, it's not on any products in the country I live. Therefore, when the items are added to the database, many may not have iron (or other nutrients) stored. I take a 50% iron supplement (I dont eat meat, but I do eat fish about 1 day a week) on the days that I don't eat fish. If your doctor says your fine, than you probably are.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you had blood work done and your levels are within acceptable parameters that's great. Whatever you are eating is nutritionally dense enough in iron. The blood don't lie!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have had bloodwork done and your iron is normal than you should be ok. I think alot of it is just genetics anyway. I have slightly low iron (I'm like .5 from where I need to be) and it takes me two iron supplements and an iron rich diet to just get to normal.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits are also a good source of iron.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Well . . . where are your beans and vegetables?

Your whole grain products should have some iron in them as well, iron isn't included in all nutritional labels/recipes. So you are not seeing everything that you are eating, but you do need to start adding some greens, beans, and other veggies into your diet!