Looking for some help

Options
I've been losing weight for about a year and a half now, and I have lost a lot of weight. But over the past couple of months, I've had an increasingly hard time losing more. Here's a backstory: I lost the vast majority of my weight doing Atkins. I stayed below 30g carbs per day for about 10 months and lost about 70 pounds. The last 21 have come off since January... but much, much slower. I switched to a more paleo-esque eating style, where I allow myself some fruits. I try to limit myself to 75g carbs/day.. sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm under, but it's not a huge deal. I also make sure that I stay under my calorie constraints as provided by MFP and started exercising. Cardio almost every day (either walk or jog/walk a little less) and lift 3 times per week.
In March and April, I found 0 movement in the scale. However I did find my issue and have corrected it, and since march I lost another 8 or 9 pounds. I understand weight loss is going to be slow, and get slower as I weigh less and less, but I find it moving at a VERY slow and frustrating pace. My logs are open to everyone; I would really appreciate it if people would take a look through my logs and critique. I know I am not a perfect eater; I love hot wings and have them more often than I probably should as well as hummus and some other stuff.. But I make sure to stay under my calorie goal as much as possible. I just find myself at a loss as to why I am not losing at a reasonable pace. I stay at a deficit that should lead to me losing about 2 pounds per week, not including exercise. I don't expect to lose 2 pounds per week.. but I don't know what to do anymore. My calorie goal used to be around 2000 per day.. now it's at 1875. Would dropping it to 1500 help? Is my metabolism maybe slower than the average person's and I need to severely limit calories? I'm considering seeing a doctor for some advice.

Replies

• gamo701
    gamo701 Posts: 4
    Options
    Not sure, but do you think it might help to start measuring inches instead of scale movement at this point - sounds like your fitness is increasing and you may be having a false frustration as you lower your % body fat without actually dropping pounds...
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but do you think it might help to start measuring inches instead of scale movement at this point - sounds like your fitness is increasing and you may be having a false frustration as you lower your % body fat without actually dropping pounds...

I do measure body fat as well. I went from 34% in January to 26% now. The problem is I was also 26% about a month and a half ago. It seems like all changes have ceased.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you recalculate your BMR and your TDEE and adjust any goals as you'd see fit.

Remember to try and not go under your BMR in calories for too long, and also make sure you are getting some weight lifting in.

Another thing to look at is your water intake. Try and make sure you get that 8 cups a day, it makes a world of difference for your health and is calorie free!

Finally, low carb diets deplete the body of a lot of water, which weighs. So, when you resume eating more carbs, your body stores them as well as water. Since you are taking this low carb approach to your diet, I would suggest that you take into account that ANY change in your carb intake will have noticeable impacts on your "weight" but not "fat".

You should start measuring your neck, waist, and hips. If you want, also the chest, bicep, and thigh to keep track of the sizes. This will help you notice changes other than simply the scale.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Hulk. Try cutting out the suasages and fatty meats and stick to only lean meats (chicken breast, white fish, etc). I know for me personally, for whatever reason red meat and I don't react well together. Eating red meat for me can stall my progress completely.

Another thing is you may be sensitive to sodium. On days that I go much over 2000 mg, my scale will show it the next day. For instance, on Saturday I went above 2500 mg and the next morning I had gained 3 lbs (all water weight, I know). But eating a lot of sodium will cause your water weight to stay increased, etc. If you try cutting down a bit and keeping it lower, it will flush from your system. Also, if you add additional salt as seasoning, that will up your sodium as well.
  • amandaxh
    amandaxh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am in no way shape or form an expert in nutrition, but perhaps your body needs to adjust to more carb intake? You drastically cut your carb intake for a longgggg period of time, in turn, your body is going to change according to that adjustment. It may take a while for it to adjust back, perhaps more than a couple months, even. I would probably continue to add carbs back into your diet (as you have been, slowly, which is good) and I know it is difficult to be patient, but the body's processes need to adjust to different ways of functioning. Even with just a slight carb increase, your body maybe a bit shocked that is now has to process carbs and in turn has to regulate differently. In the mean time while your body is adjusting, it probably is going continue to take fuel from other parts of your body instead of the new introduction to carbs because it is not used to the presence of carbs, and thus, those carbs may in turn be made into fat until the body can fully adapt to the change and take energy from the incoming carbs. 10 months is a long time to be low carb, so it doesnt seem unlikely for the body to take at least half that amount of time to adjust.

This is merely a theory. I have zero nutritional training or any expert knowledge. This is what I formulate, but I could be wrong.
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you recalculate your BMR and your TDEE and adjust any goals as you'd see fit.

Remember to try and not go under your BMR in calories for too long, and also make sure you are getting some weight lifting in.

Another thing to look at is your water intake. Try and make sure you get that 8 cups a day, it makes a world of difference for your health and is calorie free!

Finally, low carb diets deplete the body of a lot of water, which weighs. So, when you resume eating more carbs, your body stores them as well as water. Since you are taking this low carb approach to your diet, I would suggest that you take into account that ANY change in your carb intake will have noticeable impacts on your "weight" but not "fat".

You should start measuring your neck, waist, and hips. If you want, also the chest, bicep, and thigh to keep track of the sizes. This will help you notice changes other than simply the scale.

Thanks for the advice.

I've readjusted my BMR.. when I started losing weight it was 3600 cals/day, but now it's 2500 cals/day and I have adjusted goals as such. I'm not sure what TDEE stands for.
    I know all to well about the water weight shifts. I also get a lot of water; typically about a half gallon at least. I used to dedicate myself to a full gallon a day, but I realized that I really just don't need that much water.
    Hulk. Try cutting out the suasages and fatty meats and stick to only lean meats (chicken breast, white fish, etc). I know for me personally, for whatever reason red meat and I don't react well together. Eating red meat for me can stall my progress completely.

Another thing is you may be sensitive to sodium. On days that I go much over 2000 mg, my scale will show it the next day. For instance, on Saturday I went above 2500 mg and the next morning I had gained 3 lbs (all water weight, I know). But eating a lot of sodium will cause your water weight to stay increased, etc. If you try cutting down a bit and keeping it lower, it will flush from your system. Also, if you add additional salt as seasoning, that will up your sodium as well.

Interesting. I actually don't consume a ton of red meat; but you're right. It does affect people differently, as well as sodium.
    I am in no way shape or form an expert in nutrition, but perhaps your body needs to adjust to more carb intake? You drastically cut your carb intake for a longgggg period of time, in turn, your body is going to change according to that adjustment. It may take a while for it to adjust back, perhaps more than a couple months, even. I would probably continue to add carbs back into your diet (as you have been, slowly, which is good) and I know it is difficult to be patient, but the body's processes need to adjust to different ways of functioning. Even with just a slight carb increase, your body maybe a bit shocked that is now has to process carbs and in turn has to regulate differently. In the mean time while your body is adjusting, it probably is going continue to take fuel from other parts of your body instead of the new introduction to carbs because it is not used to the presence of carbs, and thus, those carbs may in turn be made into fat until the body can fully adapt to the change and take energy from the incoming carbs. 10 months is a long time to be low carb, so it doesnt seem unlikely for the body to take at least half that amount of time to adjust.

This is merely a theory. I have zero nutritional training or any expert knowledge. This is what I formulate, but I could be wrong.

It's a thought I've had myself, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I see myself maintaining a fairly grain-free lifestyle for the foreseeable future. When I started dieting I was having blood sugar issues and eating sugary stuff all day to keep my sugar levels as stable as possible. Since making the switch I feel way better, like night and day.. and I always feel miserable again when I do eat some carbs.