Wisdom teeth.... eek!

Options
My wisdom teeth are coming in... and they hurt. My mom made an appointment in 2 weeks to get them cut out... anyone have any ideas on how I can eat during that time? I'm going to be loopy and in mouth pain so I will definitely want to live off of milkshakes... that CAN'T happen, haha. I like soup... but not for every meal... any suggestions?

Replies

• adelespears
    Options
    My wisdom teeth are coming in... and they hurt. My mom made an appointment in 2 weeks to get them cut out... anyone have any ideas on how I can eat during that time? I'm going to be loopy and in mouth pain so I will definitely want to live off of milkshakes... that CAN'T happen, haha. I like soup... but not for every meal... any suggestions?
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Don't worry about the post operative recovery. Although everyone reacts differently to the surgery for the most part there's not much to the recovery.

You might want to go to this site to read up on the procedure and the recovery process:

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/wisdom-tooth-extraction

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I hope that your surgery goes well. Are you having all four done? After I had mine done, I really didn't have an appetite, but ate italian ices, milk shakes, etc for a few days. The painkillers will make you want to sleep. Don't worry too much about what you are going to eat. After about a week, you'll be able to eat more solid foods and I found that I started feeling immensely better after eating scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes. I would say it's going to take most of your energy to get through your recovery and you can worry more about your diet when you feel better. Focus on your diet for the next two weeks and then give yourself a break. As rheston said, surgery affects everyone differently. GL!
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    I never had my wisdom teeth out so I personally don't know what your going through. All four of mine grew in and I had room for them so they're still there. But, my husband had his cut out and he ate basically normal. Anything that was to much to chew I just threw in the blender. Also, lots of fresh fruit smoothies.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I had this procedure when I was 25, two on one side, then two on the other side about two weeks later. They did that to decrease complications from swelling, that was 25 years ago. I was swimming and snorkeling the next day after the first one and took like two of the pain pills they gave me. With the second, I had a tiny complication that meant I had to go in and get the stitch fixed a second time, but I took about ten of the pain pills over a week and functioned normally throughout the day. Of course, by doing one side, I could chew on the other.

If I had to do it today, knowing nothing about it. I might have Progresso chicken soups, some meal replacement drinks, and anything that is really soft and needed no chewing. Good luck in surgery.
  • adelespears
    Options
    mrrrf. I've never been in the hospital for anything before and even though this is a "minor surgery" and it's no big deal.. it's still scary! haha, but thanks for the ideas and for the support.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Do you absolutely have to do it? My dentist tried to make me, but I'm not about to get laid up with heavy painkillers and no solid food for a week during a training cycle. They haven't caused any of the horrific things he promised they'd cause by December (of 2007 lol). :huh:
  • adelespears
    Options
    most likely, yeah. I mean... I've has bad mouth problems before and I can feel these coming in. And it's sucky already. I could feel my teeth shifting last week so... I'm pretty sure that it's inevitable.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pudding snacks! Just something to add in and make you happy through the pain :happy: Really though, don't worry about it. Eat whatever you can and after you're feeling better you can get back on track :smile:

:heart: Kels