What kind of workouts do you do at home?

Options
The reason I'm asking is, I'm 18, no job, and still in school. ( I have a somewhat job of making jewelry and selling it).
At the moment are family has no car due to things wrong with it and needing to be fixed. We're working on getting a new one but that can take about a month or 2.
I would get a gym membership but walking all the way to it would be a workout and a half it self, and I'd probably be worn out by the time I got there, so that's out of the picture till we get a new car.

The only kind of exercise I've been doing is walking, I want to try something new.
So my question is, what are some things I can do for exercise at home?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    walk outside
    u tube has lots of exercise videos you can use
    Calisthenics (push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, walls sits, lunges, squats)
    running in place while watching tv
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Turn up the music and just dance like there is no one watching. Does your local library have any work out DVDs you could check out?
  • buffyanne1
    buffyanne1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do the old firm workouts,from the 80's.Google firm body sculpting basics and firm low impact aerobics.They are tough but really effective.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bodyrocktv has a lot of workouts on it that usually don't require any gear. You could also pick up a fitness mag that has a bodyweight routine in it, browse it before buying lol

Annnnd at the risk of being scorned by rabid heavy lifting fans I also suggest picking up some "girly pink dumbbells" lol a pair of 5 or 8 lbs is a great starting place!

Good luck :)
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Our little library had Zumba, and some Jillian Michaels DVD's to try. They were great to see if that was something that I wanted to do do before I spent lots of money on DVD's.

Lunges, squats, all good things!
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    pinterest.com has great no equipment, gym required circuit workouts. If you do a few of them or repeat them a few times you will work up a nice sweat, I do.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube, type in Fitness Blender and have fun!
  • wootsbr18
    wootsbr18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do my swim workouts from a summer ago. They hurt but they're soooo worth it after a couple times!

Example:
    CORE/TRUNK WORKOUTS
    crunches (head and feet off floor)
    supine leg curls (single leg)
    opposite arm-leg lifts
    pikes
    hip roll
    standing truck twist w/med ball (or some kind of weight)
    overhead sit-ups(you hold the ball above your head)

You're supposed to go through this at least 2 times and do everything for 30 seconds(: let me know if these help you
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yoga balls are fun! Also, lifting weights and dancing.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When i got bored of treadmill workouts I went to youtube and found a bunch of workout segments on there. Everyday health(i think thats what its called) is great channel to subscribe to, nice variety of workouts. If you like jillian michaels there a few of hers on there, or denise austin, bob harper, plus countless others.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    DANCE!!!!

it burns cals and shapes your body. you use every bit of your body. Start by marching in place using your arms to, sway your hips, shake your butt and use up beat music keeping beat with it.

Personally I like to use heels for like 15 out of the 60min that I dance, I listen to Pandora (Beyonce) station and just dance my heart out :-)
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great workouts on youtube. I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 from there. If you don't have a set of hand weights you could household items, like water bottles. There are a ton of workouts on there, including the butt bible. You'll find everything from ab workouts, cardio, yoga, pilates... just search.
  • invisiblemonster
    invisiblemonster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    you could try the 30 day shred. it's fantastic and you can find all of the videos on youtube :)
  • bsudano
    bsudano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This workout plan requires no equipment, and only enough floor space to lay down:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html

Working your way up the "ladder" is great motivation too!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a full time job, my problem is, I have little time. I bought a cheap elliptical and I do the 30 Day Shred via YouTube. I lost over 50 lbs using my elliptical alone, every day. When I get bored of the elliptical and my boyfriends home, I go out for a run after I've put my daughter to bed
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Everyone has already posted great ideas! There's so many ways you can get an excellent workout in without spending money. Your own body is your greatest tool! Hit your local library or surf the web for great workout videos. You got this :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    P90-X and yoga.
  • apryljo1
    apryljo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten into Cross Fit pretty heavily! I love it! It's challenging, but you can scale the workouts to your personal fitness, then build as you get stronger!
    www.crossfit.com has a WOD (or Workout of the Day) which keeps things interesting :)
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Been trying a bunch of these and they've been working. :]
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is amazing. If you have access to the internet go on YouTube and find the fastest loudest most aggressive rock music you can and jump rope to it. I do about a 22-26 minute warm up jumping rope to one song by Static X called, "Get To The Gone" and I do it on repeat 6 times in a row and although I consider myself fit it still gets my heart rate up and I'm ready to do Insanity or whatever workout program I'm doing at the time. I take my jump rope and iPod with me everywhere. I travel a lot and don't always have time to do a workout program or the space to pack it up up and bring it with me. My jump rope has become my best friend.