Aspartame Vs Sugar

Options
InezRny
InezRny Posts: 53 Member
Hi everyone,

for a really long time I have been using equal in my coffee.. over the weekend I read that aspartame either contains or turns into formaldahyde in the body. I don't know what to do at this point I am thinking of not putting either in my coffee anymore. Which one is better? ::sigh:: I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets but I usually use three equals in my coffee.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is actually a plastic (which is why it does not give you calories). And despite wild speculation, it is fine for your body to metabolize.

1 packet of Equal equates to 4 packets of sugar in sweetness.

The amount of aspartame you'd have to ingest to actually be able to accumulate enough formaldehyde is IMMENSE. So, unless you plan to have meals involving possibly gallons of pure aspartame, do not worry. Your body excretes anything bad from aspartame faster than you can collect it.
  • wyllaya
    wyllaya Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you should try STEVIA or TRUVIA........you may have to get use to the taste but i'm convince you will like it
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you considered Xylitol?
    Its natural and tastes much nicer (IMO) than Stevia or artificial stuff...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    First, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Aspartame has been around since the 1960s and has been in relatively common use for almost 30 years now. I think the only low-cal sweetener with a longer track record is saccharin.

Personally, I find that having constant sweet taste makes me crave sweet things more, so I ended up eliminating low calorie sweeteners (artificial and otherwise) from my diet entirely and it's really helped me with cravings. My coffee is now black, and I've come to dislike putting things in it.

But as far as aspartame goes, you'd have to eat a whole lot of it to do any immediate harm. Long-term effects? Well, since it's been in use for 30 years, we can pretty much say with some confidence that there are few if any 30-year-and-below effects. There is a long term study going on right now. If you use aspartame, you are part of the experimental group. As a member of the control group, I'd like to thank you for your tireless dedication as a research subject.

I'm 45 years old. I figure I have maybe another good 40 years in me. In another 5 years, Aspartame will have a 35-year track record and I'll have 35 years at most left on this planet. At that point, I might start using it regularly because by the time a 35-year issue comes up, I'll almost certainly be dead of something else.

Saccharin is the only one with a long-enough safety history for me to trust it, but that stuff tastes awful to me.

Stevia is too new. It's only approved for daily use (other than as a low-dose supplement) since late 2008. It's gonna be a good parcel of years before I trust anything other than trace doses of that. Though, to be fair, the Japanese have been using it since the 1970s, so it's got a decent track record over there at least.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have you considered Xylitol?
    Its natural and tastes much nicer (IMO) than Stevia or artificial stuff...

I agree - bought mine at a health food store.
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    First, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Aspartame has been around since the 1960s and has been in relatively common use for almost 30 years now. I think the only low-cal sweetener with a longer track record is saccharin.

Personally, I find that having constant sweet taste makes me crave sweet things more, so I ended up eliminating low calorie sweeteners (artificial and otherwise) from my diet entirely and it's really helped me with cravings. My coffee is now black, and I've come to dislike putting things in it.

But as far as aspartame goes, you'd have to eat a whole lot of it to do any immediate harm. Long-term effects? Well, since it's been in use for 30 years, we can pretty much say with some confidence that there are few if any 30-year-and-below effects. There is a long term study going on right now. If you use aspartame, you are part of the experimental group. As a member of the control group, I'd like to thank you for your tireless dedication as a research subject.

I'm 45 years old. I figure I have maybe another good 40 years in me. In another 5 years, Aspartame will have a 35-year track record and I'll have 35 years at most left on this planet. At that point, I might start using it regularly because by the time a 35-year issue comes up, I'll almost certainly be dead of something else.

Saccharin is the only one with a long-enough safety history for me to trust it, but that stuff tastes awful to me.

Stevia is too new. It's only approved for daily use (other than as a low-dose supplement) since late 2008. It's gonna be a good parcel of years before I trust anything other than trace doses of that. Though, to be fair, the Japanese have been using it since the 1970s, so it's got a decent track record over there at least.

Japanese health is impeccable as well. Their obesity rates are nonexistant.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

Black coffee is the way to go. I also agree with cutting out as much sweet from your diet as you can. Not only will you find it easier to track but you will also learn to love food without having to flavor it. It's like trying beer for the first time. It's not delicious but you learn to love it over time. Just teach your body.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I use "Stevia in the raw" for everything. I buy packets for coffee and tea and I buy in bulk for baking, cooking, etc. I LOVE the stuff. No calories + No Aspartame = a winner to me!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I tend to use splenda. It is sucralose. I would use the stevia brands, but it doesn't like to dissolve. Splenda is also better for baking. I try to stay away from aspartame. Honestly, probably none of the sweetners are good for you, but we don't really have any other good alternatives right now.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    SPLENDA IS ONLY TWO MOLECULES OFF OF DEATH AND ASPARTAME CAUSES BRAIN HOLES IN LAB RATS.

ONLY EVER EAT ORGANIC XYLISPENVIATOL OR YOU WILL DISSOLVE INTO A GOOEY PILE OF NECROTIC DENDRITES.

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY COUSIN DATED A SCIENTIST'S DOCTOR AND SHE READ IT ON THE INTERNET ONCE.
    150930 Posts: 19
    Options
    My philo is when in doubt, use the real stuff in moderation. Prevention is better than cure. Food products like Traditions can last for eternity but it does not make it is beneficial.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Japanese health is impeccable as well. Their obesity rates are nonexistant.

Japan has the highest rates of stomach cancer. They should be coating their guys with healthy protective Aspartame.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My understanding from the professor in my nutrition class is these sugar substitutes trick you pancreas to make insulin because your body thinks it's getting sugar. Personally I'd rather have a few extra calories than to put the strain on my pancreas by spiking production for no reason.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What scares me about Splenda is it's relatively new. There are no real long term affects known.
    I tend to use splenda. It is sucralose. I would use the stevia brands, but it doesn't like to dissolve. Splenda is also better for baking. I try to stay away from aspartame. Honestly, probably none of the sweetners are good for you, but we don't really have any other good alternatives right now.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    All I know is Aspartame (and any other artificual sweetners) gives me bad headaches and/or migraines.

-Kimberly
    3foldchord
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

for a really long time I have been using equal in my coffee.. over the weekend I read that aspartame either contains or turns into formaldahyde in the body. I don't know what to do at this point I am thinking of not putting either in my coffee anymore. Which one is better? ::sigh:: I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets but I usually use three equals in my coffee.
    Fruits, vegetables, and meat all also turn into formaldehyde in the body. Formic acid (formaldehyde) is actually a normal byproduct of human metabolism. You breathe some out every time you exhale.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    SPLENDA IS ONLY TWO MOLECULES OFF OF DEATH AND ASPARTAME CAUSES BRAIN HOLES IN LAB RATS.

ONLY EVER EAT ORGANIC XYLISPENVIATOL OR YOU WILL DISSOLVE INTO A GOOEY PILE OF NECROTIC DENDRITES.

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY COUSIN DATED A SCIENTIST'S DOCTOR AND SHE READ IT ON THE INTERNET ONCE.

Freaking priceless!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the best choice would to be use neither artificial sweetener nor sugar. BUT, I only think that...I myself cannot drink coffee without having a Splenda or sugar packet in there. Hypocrisy is OK as long as you're honest about it, right? :laugh: For this reason, I tend to avoid coffee...it gives me headaches as well, so there's that.

In all seriousness, it's probably better to use something more natural--sugar or stevia--in moderation than something made in a lab. Just my two cents. Do what makes you feel good and helps with your goals. :drinker:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    truvia ftw. surprised you don't use splenda at least!

if you like equal, stick with it. there's no reason to change.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is poison to your body. You would be better off using regular sugar.