INSANITY : Delayed Period

Options
I am 25 years old female doing INSANITY . 160 cm Fluctuating between 130 to 135 pounds.
I completed 1 round of INSANITY in April and now again started month 2 only . But i see whenever i do the workout program religiously i end up with a delayed periods !!

Do i have a chance to develop AMENORRHEA??

1. Doing INSANITY i didn't lose much weight( But i lost inches) , I just got addicted to the program.
2. I just do that and no more activity , cos that itself is intense .
3. And I don starve.

Please advise, Do i have to stop exercising ? My BF is really angry with me and he is completely upset. I feel like I am loosing something if I don't workout . Please advise ...

Replies

• jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are at risk for developing anything life long. If they go back to normal when you do it I think you're ok. If it bothers you maybe add in one or two rest days.

Why is your boyfriend mad at you?
  • athangap
    athangap Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks very much for the reply .! And I have to give a break till i get my period and switch to less intense workout.

yeah , He is really mad at me :( he is just opposite to me !!
  • helenrachel123
    helenrachel123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would not worry too much as it is normal to have delayed periods when doing lots of exercise and not a prob if they return once you stop. Why is your boyfriend mad at you as you are not doing anything to him or upsetting him in anyway by not having your period as it is your body and not his.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Insanity causes my period to run a few days late, but it eventually comes. Not sure why your boyfriend is mad at you, but delaying your period a little due to exercise isn't going to cause any long-term damage.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're eating healthily and staying hydrated while doing the workout. If you do that, nothing bad will happen. A delayed period is nothing to worry about. When you miss it completely, that's an issue and it could mean female athletic syndrome, but if you're getting it then it's fine. most people are rarely perfectly on schedule anyway.
  • athangap
    Options
    My Bf he is just concerned whether infertility would hit me cos we are planning to get married the next year  . And thanks very much guys , I felt very bad to quit the program completely and now I am not going to do !!

One other quick question , My heart rate hits 190 when I do the month 1 workout !? Is that normal . with month 2 its being at 180ish..
  • athangap
    Options
    And I have to halt INSANITY till i get my period eh ??
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Conventional Wisdom states that your max heart rate is 200 - age in years. Typically you should be between 55 - 90% of max during workouts. Like I said, this is CW, not sure on validity.
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just keep going at the exercise. I started doing this and more exercise and my period at first was delayed by a week.....they are all haywire now.
  • athangap
    Options
    Thanks guys :) !
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read this feedback also. It's the first time I'm hearing about intense exercise affecting one's cycle and it's pretty interesting because I am starting Insanity this week....I will monitor the effect as well....thanks again!
  • derrickhuynh
    Options
    As a grad student in health sciences, I can tell you it is perfectly normal for you to be experiencing delayed periods or even absence of periods altogether due to level of exercise that the insanity program puts you through. It is really nothing to worry about as long as you are getting the proper nutrition and your periods should return to normal once you if you take a break or stop Insanity.
  • athangap
    Options
    Derik, Thanks for that advise! So i have to halt Insanity for a week or so to get my period eh.. ? Still I didn't get I am almost late by a week and also note that I did not meet this when I did my first round of insanity !

But , I should say Now in the second round I know the form and the moves and i dont stop often so I do it with much high intensity when compared to the first round !
  • athangap
    Options
    Yes ! Pls monitor ..
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That happens to me,but eventually it comes:0 Don't quit, I think it's normal if you think it gets worse (where it doesn't come at all) just check w/ your Dr.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Working out doesn't cause infertility. Your BF's reaction is odd.

Are you eating enough? If you are doing strenuous workouts like insanity and not eating enough you may lose your period or have a delayed one.
  • athangap
    Options
    Yeah i do eat enough not less than 2000 cal/day ! Some times I feel like I am eating all the time . I do not skip break fast and I have set remainders every 3.5 hours to snack .
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yeah i do eat enough not less than 2000 cal/day ! Some times I feel like I am eating all the time . I do not skip break fast and I have set remainders every 3.5 hours to snack .

Maybe your cycle is longer than you estimated? Do you track it? (I like the app iPeriod.) I recommend speaking to your doctor if you are concerned.
  • I'm having the same problem. I started insanity 2 weeks ago and my period is missing
  • MariaOLeary
    MariaOLeary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hard to believe no one suggested that you visit your doctor and get professional advice but here I come - mother hen, fan of western medicine, traditional old gal.....

Go see your Doctor. (I'm sure it's what everyone is saying but I'd go see my Doctor.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!