PCOS + weight lost

Options
Does anyone have PCOS and having hard time loosing weight ? I have struggled with my weight my whole life and recently found out I have PCOS which is directly related to weight gain and not being able to loose weight. I work out 3 times a week eat very healthy and can't seem to loose I need friends and support of people dealing with PCOS.... any advice on how to drop the lbs?

Replies

• suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have it too!!! My body seems to go through "phases" and i have noticed that if i stick with it, i will lose bunches all at once then hit the wall again. Plus, from what i understand, weight loss and dietary changes mess with hormone levels which of course affect or PCOS. I know to watch the carbs though.. and do notice i feel overall better. Add me if you like, we can be frustrated together!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes
    Freakin' slow.... but still working.... and every pound is worth it, even more for us women with PCOS, cause if not we have higher chance than the normal person to get diabetics and so on.

I've lost 17 pounds (just come back from the nutrionnist) since january 2012, so yes it's much slower than the average person. I've counted my calories since then and work out more or less every day.... Fell free to add me !
  • paradigmsubversion
    paradigmsubversion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*
    I've been logging into MFP for only 2 months, but slowly and steadily, I've lost just a few pounds. Feel free to add me- we're all in this together!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have put on weight and now working to take it off. I've only been seriously doing this for a little over a week. I was given metformin, but stopped taking it a while back before starting the weight loss journey. If I have a lot of trouble with losing weight with exercise and diet alone then I will possibly add in metformin and see if there is a difference. First and foremost I started working with a nutritionist because if I work out all the time and eat like crap then it's not worth it.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. The only way of gaining and maintaining control is weightloss. It is more difficult, but you will notice that with weightloss, you will have less symptoms. Cutting your carb intake is what is best for losing weight with PCOS. It is definately a lifestyle change that you have to stick with, because with PCOS, putting the weight back on is very easy. Good luck!! I am here if you ever need support!
  • afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump! I also have PCOS.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    PCOS is something most people don't understand, not even those of us with it because Dr's don't know a lot about it! It's very frustrating! My Dr put me on Metformin, which is for diabetes, but it works by controling the hormones that control insulin....the side affect.......it helps control PCOS. At least for me it means less painful tom's and not as heavy tom's and now that I am on 1,000mg a day it's supposed to make losing weight a little bit easier. My dr advises a healthy diet with lots of fresh veggies and fish in it and low amounts of refined sugars.
  • Jenniferwantstolive
    Options
    I too have PCOS and have struggled with my weight. My weight gain has made the symptoms of PCOS not so comfortable for me as of recently and was told I have to lose the weight. It is nice to see that I have others to turn to that are actually going through what I am going through. Good luck to all!
  • ARutherford87
    Options
    I have always had many female issues from PCOS to Endometriosis to ovarian cysts that rupture every month and that alone is hard to deal with. I was in a never ending battle with my weight and if I ever lost anything, I would gain double back. I tried EVERYTHING!! Quick Weight Loss Center, Weight Watchers, Trim Spa and many more. My doctor finally suggested that I look into the Gastric Bypass surgery or Lap Band because nothing would work. I was 20 years old and weighed 265 pounds. I was very athletic and was in great health, minus the female issues and the fact that I was over weight. I attended a seminar about Gastric Bypass and after much research and therapy, I decided to go through with the surgery. July 31, 2007 was the date. I was down to 185 pounds within 6 months and I just recently started gaining some back. Before it gets out of hand I thought I would try MFP...plus it is an awesome way to maintain your health! I have a friend who is also suffering with PCOS and it is just so incredibly frustrating...I KNOW! Since the surgery, my PCOS is gone, my cysts have reduced and I feel like a new woman. I am not trying to say that weight loss surgery is the answer, but I just want you lovely ladies to know that you are not alone and it sometimes feels like an uphill battle. My only advice...DO NOT GIVE UP!! MFP is a great way to live even if you are not trying to lose weight, it keeps you healthy and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Oh, and it is easy! Y'all are strong women and you need to know that! PCOS is so difficult to live with and everyday is a battle, but just try your best to stay positive and keep going! Suzieqcookie - I noticed that you have lost 17 pounds...WOW! That is wonderful! I wish you two the BEST of luck and if you have any questions about PCOS or anything, ask me...I'll try my best to answer them! I feel like an expert now after everything I have been through with it in the past 10 years!

Good Luck Ladies!! :wink:
  • shannonlee28
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed with PCOS but all the symptoms I was having in Nov 2011 were the same. My doctor prescribed Metformin which is given to diabetics to help control and lower there weight. I took this for a few months and then stopped because I just wasn't into taking pills, I believe it did help in the beginning to shed some of the weight and once I knew how to do it I was able to just do it on my own. I have lost 73lbs so it is possible, just a lot of work. I workout 7 days a week for at least 60 minutes, I do mostly cardio but am part of Curves so the circut training is also a bit of strength which I do 5 days a week.

Feel free to add me Good luck
  • ARutherford87
    Options
    OOOOPPPSSS!! My bad...I only saw two people that commented on this when I wrote my reply, sorry. I didn't mean to leave anyone out! Y'all are all so strong and wonderful and it is great to see all the weight loss progress being made! WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! Keep it up ladies!!
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who is sharing! I really need support right now just really discouraged because i workout cardio and weights I don't eat fast food i don't drink soft drinks and i don't eat after 7pm and i still cant loose weight maybe 5 lbs then i gain it back or loose 12 like last year but gained 6 back its so annoying but i just learned about the carbs so i will be watching how many i take in and see if that helps. I am not on any meds other than birth control to help me even have a cycle.... i have always been irregular but never like the last 2 years and here we are with PCOS so I"m looking for support and any advice on what has worked for others with PCOS..... my dr is shocked i cant drop lbs because of my healthy eating habits.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. Been trying to lose weight since Labor Day 2009 and struggling with it. Finally getting some real success this year.
  • M2Rogers
    M2Rogers Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have it and , find that loosing weight is a big challenge. Please keep me posted on how you deal with this. I am hoping to lose about 20 to 30 pounds and having PCOS makes it difficult. Good luck you guys!
  • Osanyin
    Osanyin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have PCOS too! I had no idea it might impact my weight loss, or lack thereof...good to know.
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    whats been working ?
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    I want to loose 20-30 also ..... i read cutting back on carbs can help.... they said follow south beach diet. Anyone tried this and found success?
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I follow the "caveman" Paleo diet and have had huge success with it. I'm the thinnest I've been in 8 years, and SO close to my high school weight!! Good luck :)
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    caveman" Paleo diet .... cool Thanks for the advice! I want to be my high school skinny too! 52 lbs congrats!!!! I can't wait to say the same!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    you WILL say the same. Just a warning a lot of people will give you crap for that diet, "you need carbs, you shouldn't be so strict, etc etc", but it's really not strict. I eat any meat I want ( I stick to the leaner meats just because that's what I like, chicken, turkey, eggs) I eat a TON of vegetables, and I feel great. I'm not sure if there is science behind it or not, but from what I've read and seen in my own life, people that have PCOS do much better without all of the carbs in their diet. I don't know why this is!! Whatever you do, stick with it, be healthy and you will do awesome :)