Motivated to Lose....Not Motivated to Work Hard

Options
I've been hovering around the 290-295lb mark for the last 6 months. I want to lose weight, but I'm tired all the time, I got in a car crash 2 months ago and am finally feeling back to my old self, but I have little to no motivation to exercise and the temptations of eating poorly are too much for me to break through. I have lost more than 50 pounds (not all on MFP) in the last 15 months, but I would say that was giving about a half-assed, quarter-assed effort. I was to make progress, but I'm so unmotivated. My hubby woke up this morning at 5:30am and went for a run and did his interval training. I hit snooze and went back to bed.

Any tips for how to get motivated, not just in terms of exercise, but healthy lifestyle as well? I fell like I'm perpetually tired. Maybe a week or 2 of the healthy lifestyle will help alleviate that?

Replies

• Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can tell you is to not wait for magical motivation. I prefer the Nike recommendation - Just Do It.

Try to start thinking of exercise as regular maintenance like brushing your teeth. Also, maybe don't try to start with too much - walking is exercise too. Maybe start with that, or swimming...something you enjoy.

Limit your temptations as much as possible. It's a process. I now find it helpful to have one "free day" a week where I go over my calories to have foods I've been craving but aren't healthy (i.e. pizza or ice cream, etc.). I still watch the portions though, and try to have at least one really nutrious meal on those days.

Good luck.
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    Honestly when you eat right, and exercise, your energy level goes up. Natural process that you don't have the things in your system that your body doesn't like. If after a couple weeks, if you don't feel an improvement in energy levels and mood, then it's time to wonder if other things could be contributing. Sleep apnea, is just one of many possibilities that can make someone feel drained all day. However, for a "healthy" person, just eating correctly and giving your body some exercise can go a long ways in improving mood, energy, and how well you sleep at night so you wake more refreshed
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So being skinnier, healthier, and more energetic is not enough of a motivation?

If getting up in the morning and exercising isn't good for you, DON'T. Exercise later in the day. Let the hubby have his mornings.

Do the math, do your calculations, set your goals, and log everything.

If you honestly cannot even set aside 10 minutes a day to look over what you ate for the day and plan changes, you simply won't get anywhere.

But it does sound like you need to start with some easier exercises that are less "work". So, to start, EVERY day, go for a 45 to 50 minute walk. Just throw some head phones on and walk. Look around, smile, breathe. It will do wonders.
  • Glassblaster
    Options
    try using the fitbit. It is motivating me
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    First get a check up from your doctor to see if your iron is low and nothing is going on, cause if you are tired like that it might be a reason. Then go from there get you some good multi vitamins, b12, start walking take it slow then build from there, cause your motivation is going to have to come from within you and no one else. If you want it bad enough you will be willing to work hard and do what needs to be done cause it is not coming for free. You can do this you already loss 50lbs so you got this good luck.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can tell you is to not wait for magical motivation. I prefer the Nike recommendation - Just Do It.

Try to start thinking of exercise as regular maintenance like brushing your teeth. Also, maybe don't try to start with too much - walking is exercise too. Maybe start with that, or swimming...something you enjoy.

Limit your temptations as much as possible. It's a process. I now find it helpful to have one "free day" a week where I go over my calories to have foods I've been craving but aren't healthy (i.e. pizza or ice cream, etc.). I still watch the portions though, and try to have at least one really nutrious meal on those days.

Good luck.

I totally agree with this ^^^^ You can't wait for some magical moment where you get this burst of energy and just feel like working hard. You will have to work hard....success in itself is motivational! :) One day at a time. Get up and do something fitness related (walk, do a dvd, treadmill, elliptical..whatever) but just do it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Nike recommendation - Just Do It.

I just had a response written with this and deleted it. ^^^

But, since it was already said, I'll chime in. You just have to make yourself do it and quit making excuses. No one WANTS to deprive themselves of the food they like and kill themselves in the gym, but if you want the results, you make sacrifices. Like was said, start with small changes that you can deal with, then stick to them. Once you get accustomed to that change, make another and stick to it. Eventually, if you hang in there, you'll get where you want to be.

Its all about re-training yourself. Trade in the bad habits for good ones.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of *wanting* to lose weight, but not wanting to put forth the effort (for one reason or another) ... I find that when I'm not feelin' it, I do experience more fatigue, lack of interest in trying to get active, etc. But you know what? There's only one thing that is going to make that weight come off, and that's maintaining a calorie deficit and being active. So, you have to make the conscious effort every day when you wake up that you're just going to get out there and do it. No excuses, no skipping workouts, etc., etc., etc...

Trust me, I get it.. I really do... I just came off a six-month-long "I'm not feeling up to the challenge, even though I want the results." Turns out, I don't get what I want if I don't put out the effort. Once I stopped, look at myself and said, "If you really wanted it, you'd do it.", things seemed to start falling in to place.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Human will power is like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it becomes. FORCE yourself to do something. It is YOU that has the control not some magical "motivation" feeling.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The easiest way for me to get some motivation back is to start taking an exercise class I enjoy. Yoga, water aerobics, indoor cycling...anything really. I pick a time when I know I have higher energy (mornings are good for me, nights are not). I prefer smaller classes because you get a chance to know the people who come to the class. I find motivation in knowing I get to go and socialize, see everyone's progress, and just generally destress!

Another trick my husband and I use is a dry erase board in the kitchen. If we workout for at least 30 minutes, we get a checkmark in the "Workout" box for the day. It was killing me to see checks in his boxes and not mine!! At first I was really dragging to get my check and now I usually have mine there before his.

It takes about 3 weeks to create a habit. If you can push through the first few weeks, working out will just become part of your routine and you'll enjoy the extra energy you get from it.

As far as the healthy eating goes...I struggle every day and have no advice. That's why I'm here!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think you need to identify WHY you want to lose weight, and focus on that. Let that goal/reward drive you. For me it was a brush with high cholesterol, which scared me into action, and I don't want to ever look back.

If you want to lose weight to look better or fit into a smaller size of jeans, WHY is that important to you? If you want better health, how are you measuring your progress? What changes are you willing to make NOW to make your goals a reality?
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    My hubby woke up this morning at 5:30am and went for a run and did his interval training. I hit snooze and went back to bed.

Any tips for how to get motivated, not just in terms of exercise, but healthy lifestyle as well?

Look, you have a natural work out buddy! Obviously you don't want to and probably not fit enough to run with him yet, but you can GET UP with him and do your own thing -- walk his route. You don't have to finish at the same time, but he can help you start at the same time. Motivation isn't easy and it doesn't often come intrinsically. The best motivation comes from habit. When you develop a habit of STARTING with your husband, it will eventually become YOUR routine. And working out will give you energy. You won't be as tired.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Bumping...because I'm stuck in the same mindframe.