Those of you who have successfully lost a lot of weight:

Options
I find it really motivating to read what you can do now that you couldn't do before. What were the first things that you noticed? What are your favorite things that you do now that you couldn't' do before? What unexpected benefits did you find?

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I absolutely dreaded having to mow my lawn. In fact, I barely was able to. I always ended up doing it over 2 days due to fatigue. Now I can finish in just over an hour and love it. Great exercise :) I'm glad I've dropped enough to get though more easily.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Great topic! I like that I can work it at the gym and do better than some of the skinny people :-) I started working out in February and joined a spin class last month with a friend. I notice that I can push harder than some of the skinny girls in the class. I'm by far the biggest one there, but I can keep up well and that inspires me to keep going.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    wear a bikini
    feel confident about myself
    push-ups
    run more than 5k
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I like that I can work it at the gym and do better than some of the skinny people :-) I started working out in February and joined a spin class last month with a friend. I notice that I can push harder than some of the skinny girls in the class. I'm by far the biggest one there, but I can keep up well and that inspires me to keep going.

^This! I take spin classes and it's always fun when we get a new (skinny) girl in class. They eyeball me and a few others and you can almost hear them thinking "This is a class for fatties!" And then we get going, and they are almost dead by the second song, while I'm still pedaling away!! Maybe it's wrong, but it makes me happy :laugh:

And I love that I can run longer distances (5-6 miles), I can shop in ANY store I want to. I've done 2 mud runs and never once worried about whether or not I would be able to keep up. It was a blast!
  • theweightisover
    theweightisover Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find it really motivating to read what you can do now that you couldn't do before. What were the first things that you noticed? What are your favorite things that you do now that you couldn't' do before? What unexpected benefits did you find?
    [/quote

Don't laugh.....I can touch my toes easier. :laugh:

BTW, I just LOVE your name.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am a pretty accomplished cook, largely French cooking. Butter and cream. Sigh.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    - I can run! never thought I'd be a runner, but I've done 2 5k's and I really enjoy it.
    - I can appreciate that clothes look good on me now. I just got a new suit much like one I admired on a skinny coworker a couple years ago.
    - I can see muscle tone.
    - I can saw no to ice cream (say what?). If it's not great, I'm not wasting the calories. Period.
    - My back doesn't hurt.
    - I feel strong.

Good luck!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym/working out I couldnt do a push up to save my life!

I can now work out for 45-1 hour non-stop and not feel like Im going to pass out! I have more energy during the day and I dont have the sluggish 2pm wishing I could take a nap feeling :)

This summer has been warm here and I have noticed that heat doesnt bother me as much as it did last summer. I have even went out walking where as before I would have felt like I was having a stroke!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump I wanna hear more!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I've lost 135 lbs, and there are SO many NSV's that I'll try to just hit some highlights.

First - collarbones! omg - what the heck are those?? I would stand in front of the mirror for 10-15 minutes at a time, rolling my shoulders forward, watching those little pockets appear.

I remember the first time I spontaneously ran upstairs. I had forgotten my keys. I was in a hurry, and I was 3/4ths of the way up the stairs when it occurred to me what I had just done. No handrail. No thinking about it. No out-of-breathe feeling.

My favorite things I do now are riding a motorcycle and yoga. Not that I *couldn't* have done either one of them before, but I didn't THINK I could. I also learned to rock climb, but I haven't done that for a while. (Rock climbing and artificial nails do not mix, and right now - it's more important for me to have a professional image at work. I can work out in other ways).

Unexpected benefits - I cannot even begin to tell you how much better my career is than where I was 7 years ago when I had weight loss surgery. I literally make 4x the salary that I made then, and it's not at all unthinkable that I could double that in a year or two.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've lost just over 100 pounds. I can blow dry my hair now - my arms don't get tired!

I can sit in chairs and not worry that I will break them or my fat will spill over.