Is average hr of 85% too high?

Options
jfrankic
jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
When doing cardio (usually turbo jam), I push myself as hard as I possibly can the entire time, after warming up. My average heart rate the last time was 85%. I was above my "zone" 65% of the time, meaning my hr was above the cardio zone limit of 158.

So my question: should I NOT push myself like that? Do I need to stay around 70%? My husband keeps telling me I shouldn't push it like I do. Exercise adrenaline is like my drug though. I feel like I'm cheating if I'm not at the point I feel like I could lose my lunch.

I do cardio usually 4-5x per week for 45 mins and strength/toning with bands 2x. Usually one rest day a week, sometimes two. Not sure if any of that makes a difference.

(Edited for fat thumb typos!!)

Replies

• Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you...heart rates can vary. I am really weird in that my heart rate will go about 100% sometimes upwards of 125% if I am doing HIIT. I think that 85% is fine unless you feel funky, but I would check with a doctor too if you are concerned.
  • jfrankic
    Options
    No, I have no concerns. I feel great! I have maxed at 195 bpm when doing intervals. I'm never weak or woozy. I'm healthy and fitter than I have been in years, so I enjoy seeing how far and hard I can go. Thanks for the input! I just wanted some other's thoughts, as my hubs and i have this conversation pretty regularly.
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    well , I think depends how old are t you to reach your target:):heart:
  • jfrankic
    Options
    I'm 33.
  • Leanbck
    Leanbck Posts: 4
    Options
    Do u lift? Mybe u should consider that, just pointing that out brah.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maxing it out at 195 at 33 should be okay (again not a doctor). At 25 I would routinely go up to 215-225 during intervals. I think that the 60% is not the best way to go and working closer to 80% all the time during cardio is actually a better tactic to take.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    For me it is about how I feel. I like to keep my heart rate at about 75% which for me is around 155. When running I am usually between 155-165 and that feels ok. But if I get into the 170's I start to feel like I am going to have a heart attack or something. I get a bit dizzy, weak, and it is super hard to keep going. I can handle it for about 20 minutes and then for me, I must lower my heart rate. So pay attention to your body, to how you feel. If you feel good, then all is well...if you don't lower your rate a bit.