Hair help!!!

Options
I have been watching what I eat and really working hard this time around. I take a multi vitamin I think its centrum, and fish oil, and a B complex for energy in the morning. My question is this, my hair is falling out in huge clumps now. In the shower, when I brush it, even when I just pull the pony tail holder out to put my hair back up if it is falling out! I'm really worried about this! Am I not taking the right amount of vitamins? Is there something that by dieting and watching how much I eat, I am depriving my body of? This all started about a week after I started. I guess I''m really just hoping that there is a vitamin out there that I may need to be taking now. Please help!!!

Don't wanna be bald at age 27!!

Replies

• LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is probably something you should talk about with your doctor! Good luck!
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I would speak to your doctor. It could also be caused by stress or a dramatic change to yoru diet/excersise routine. Did your hair start falling out when you started taking those vitamins?
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing! Get your thyroid tested. I found out my thyroid was really low. It is a simple blood test. Also, make sure you are taking the FULL B complex vitamins which should help your hair. The ones strictly for energy I found out are not complete. Also, make sure you are taking a fish oil suppliment that has been super purified/distilled. The cheaper ones may contain mercury and other contaminants found in fish. Usually, places like Walmart won't have them, you have to go to a whole foods store. I get mine form Life Extension, which I trust.

Also, I switched my multi to a product called OPCXtra. It is powder but mixed with water and it is supposed to deliver more of the antioxidants into your system. It is $40 bucks for a 90 day supply and you can get it online.

I have been on these for about one month and have already seen positive results.

Good luck to you!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    ok ladies, please speak with your doctor.

i have several friends that have a condition called alopecia. here is the wikapedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata

its more common than you think and it is pretty devestating to discover you have this condition. i do hope this is not what you have but if it is, please PM me for information on how to handle this condition.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nicoledenyse
    Options
    i have had the exact same problem the past few weeks i called my doctor and they said it could be a thyroid problem but i doubt it! let me know what u find out
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you started changing your eating habits?

It is common to experience hair loss similar to what you are describing when you first start making changes to your body and how you are fueling it.

Biotin is good to take to stop this from occurring, but it will take some time for it to work.

It is always a good thing to check with your doctor, especially if you have symptoms of other healh conditions such as PCOS or thyroid issues.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Not to detract from the very wise warnings given, but when under extreme stress my hair falls out. Not in localized clumps but in huge handfuls when I shower or brush my hair. I don't have any bald spots, just all over hair 'thinning'. Luckily I had thick hair to begin with, so it's not as though I'm going bald, although the though crosses my mind often.

When I go for my next physical, I may ask them to check my thyroid again, just as a precaution. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    i have had the exact same problem the past few weeks i called my doctor and they said it could be a thyroid problem but i doubt it! let me know what u find out

Saw you had a new baby in your profile photo.... During pregnancy, my hair was ah-mazing. Afterwards, it began falling out. I likened it to shedding like a dog. Again, still worth looking into medical avenues just in case, but wanted to point out that similarity. :flowerforyou:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Extreme stress & poor nutrition are common causes of hair loss. I started shedding hair like crazy in college, lost close to half the thickness--but I had extremely thick hair to begin with.

But it's worth checking w/a doctor because it could be a sign of something more serious!
  • DanneLynne
    DanneLynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great advice - I know some family friends and it runs in their family.
    : )
  • DanneLynne
    DanneLynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    my response was to heather omc :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Saw you had a new baby in your profile photo.... During pregnancy, my hair was ah-mazing. Afterwards, it began falling out. I likened it to shedding like a dog. Again, still worth looking into medical avenues just in case, but wanted to point out that similarity. :flowerforyou:

Me too, doc said I should go back on the preggo vitamins. See the doc, he will know!:flowerforyou: