Too tired to exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I feel what you are saying. First I would like to say that I have a hectic schedule as well and it is very tough squeezing in time for working out after a long day on the job, then come home to kids and spouse! I was disgusted with myself and was tired of being tired so I decided to see the urgency in my heath and made the time! I felt I was important enough to me to do it for myself, Holy mackerel, I just said me - myself and I backwards! LOL No anyways I went in head first back in April and I have not come up for air yet. I don't take a day to slack, even though it would be nice to do that. You see, when your health becomes your first priority, nothing and no one will get in the way. I'm not saying everyone will get to that point at the same time, however, in order to make the change, we have to get it mentally first. That is were you are first motivated, In your mind. Your friends here can cheer you on but cannot motivate you to get up and make the time! This is up to you. I don't want to sound hard core, but this is that, and that is it! Pull it from down on the inside, MAKE THE TIME, when I'm at home watching Judge Judy for an hour, I am up on my feet doing power lunges, stair steps, hand weights and more.. You will see the time fly by and it will be worth it in the long run. I am here if you need me. Please be encouraged and learn to motivate yourself! YOU WILL DO THIS AND IT WON'T TAKE LONG, WITH CONSISTENCY AND PERSEVERANCE! I'm rooting for you!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Considering your long hours... if there is any way at all to get something in at the start of your day, you will be way better off. Any exercise you "squeeze" in at the end of that kind of day will short circuit the sleep you need so badly to reset.

An early workout will help rev you up - and if you have any breaks in your day, trying getting something short in: run steps, park at the farthest point from the door, don't take elevators.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Until I started this I was always too tired, too busy etc. And I never had enough time to go out and exercise! But when I made the decision to do this I started with just 10-15 mins exercise a day and built it up gradually. Now it is part of my routine, and I love it. Just aim small bite size amounts and believe me before you know it you will be exercising regularly no matter what your hours. It will become so important to you that you will find the time! Good luck!
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try Vitamin Sublingual B-12 (check to make sure to check drug interactions if your on any meds); my coworker gave me the 2500 mcg and I was up almost all day and night with energy; plus it helps your metablism. Then you'll have energy to exercise. I agree drink loads of water and start out slow until you gain momentum to exercise. I reduced my Vitamin sublingual B-12 to 1000 and still feel awak throughout the day. Take it a day at a time; best of luck!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work by 8am and finish at 6pm (not as hectic as your hours of course) But I am up at 4:45am and in the gym by 5am, I find early morning workouts fuel my motivation throughout the day and I feel great all day! Maybe something like the 30 day shred DVD by Jillian Micheals, its about 20mins but it will kick your butt :)
    ETA: Spelling.
  • ms_cataclysm
    ms_cataclysm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're tired, then you're not sleeping properly . If you're not sleeping properly, then you will find it harder to lose weight.and exercise. And lack of exercise and daylight can make it harder to sleep properly.

When you catch up with your mobile phone messages between presentations, could you take a brisk walk outside the building while you listen to them ? I know it's not much but you sound as if you're really short on time.

I've linked to some sleep tips.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it....it sounds cliche, but it will get easier and you'll have more energy when you get more into a habit of getting more exercise.

In the meantime, coffee, 5-hour energy drinks....whatever it takes to get you there. You'll be glad you did after a workout when you feel awesome and energized!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've always heard "when we feel the least like exercising is when we need it the most"! Something to think about.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    As crappy as it may sounds, it seems your problem is more so work than anything else.

4am to 8:15pm is not healthy by any stretch of the imagination. The mental toll it is taking out on you hinders your ability to focus on your own health.

Many people suggest this drink or that drink and this quick exercise and that quick exercise... I suggest a re-evaluation of your profession to see if it is truly a fit for you. At this point, it should be up to you to decide if this specific career/job is more important than your personal health and goals.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Meth
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    How's your nutrition? I was protein-deficient; once I changed my eating I had SO much more energy to work out. That said, your schedule does stink. Do what you can to make it easier on yourself (nutrition, planning), and hopefully it'll make the "suck it up and do it" part easier. And once you get in a groove, it'll be easier as well.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    First, I would advise verifying that you don't have an underlying medical problem that is affecting you, and that you are cleared to exercise. Talk to your Dr. about anything that would stop you from the exercise routine you have in mind.

If you lack motivation, it is always difficult. Plan out the first 3 weeks, line out a good schedule. Set your alarms for the workouts. Lose sleep if you must. Your body will get tired enough to sleep soon enough.

Stick to your diet plan. When you do every workout in the planned 3 weeks, reassess your plan, your routine. Make adjustments. You will likely find that the next 3 weeks will be a lot easier. Now you can integrate this exercise habit into your overall goals. Evaluate at that point how you feel, how you are performing in your day to day tasks, how productive you are at home and at work. As has been mentioned, almost everyone who makes a habit of exercise finds that they are more productive as a result.

Make the time for just 3 weeks. Make it a short term priority, and then evaluate.
  • Linda1725
    Linda1725 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the pedometer...especially the Fitbit which syncs with MFP to add calories back into your budget. While 10,000 steps may be the goal, I think it's important to see how many steps you normally take during the day for a week. From there aim to gradually increase your daily total until you hit 10k. Adding in bits of exercise may be more achievable especially if your days are long.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! The moment I wrote this I had a spurt of self anger put on my trainers and did a 25minute walk. I feel much better, calmer and awake. Phew. Thanks everyone I will take into consideration everything you've all said :) I am probably deficient in every vitamin going lol I have actually scheduled a blood check for this week already.

Sleepwise I always get 6 hours regardless of starting time - I have got 30 days to shred and if I gotta go bed half an hour earlier to get up half an hour earlier then so be it (sounds so easy but it's taken me YEARS to change my body clock to a sunriser). Good idea ty. I know for a fact some nights I won't be home until past 9pm. I have got tues, weds and thurs late evenings free (mostly) and I have booked aqua aerobics on tues, bokwa on weds and zumba on thurs. (I do these regularly it's just the HOME exercises on my hectic days that I want to sort out AND my crappy eating habits).

Been on my feet for 9 hours and after that walk my footsies are aching lol. Strangely enough I just randomly picked a dinner and my mother pointed out it was all protein... is that a sign? >< I haven't got a pedometer but I shall invest I think it'd definitely be interesting to see how much I really do :) I am a bit nervous about energy drinks/sweets - I just hate anything that's not water, orange juice or tea and I definitely hate boiled sweets of any kind (I'm a faithful chocoholic sorry :P) But I'll try anything new just to see.

Thanks again everyone! xxxx