30Day Shred- Too Hard

Options
I posted this in fitness and didn't get much help. A group of my friends started Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred a couple of weeks ago. I did three days and it was awful. The strength training and the crunches I can do without a problem but the cardio is really tough for me. I feel like a failure even saying that out loud especially when I read that it is targeted to beginners. I can walk 2 miles at 4mph without getting winded but 5 jumping jacks and I feel like I’m going to die.

So is there a better one out there for true beginners? Should I keep it up and just walk in place? Any suggestions??

Replies

• specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep at it. You'll build up your endurance that way. Just do what you can then take a break for a couple of seconds and get back at it. You can do it.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    That 30 day shred IS tough, I don't care what 'they' say! LOL

I did it once and couldn't walk for 4 days...sitting down made me cry, and the stairs??!?!? OMG!!

I do plan to start doing it again once I am a little fitter (for instance, when I can run for 2 minutes without stopping).

If you want to keep doing it, I would do the jumping jacks but just slow them down. What killed me was all of those damn lunges.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think life is too short to do something that makes me feel that crappy. Find something you like at least a bit. I really enjoyed walking and hikes at the beginning, now I like running (still feels weird to type that).

Some of the things I like about exercise is that it makes me feel good, gives me a feeling of accomplishment, and makes me feel strong and healthy. If you're not getting that - keep looking.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Maryirene16
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I did 4 days of level 1 and just could not make myself do more.
    I have always been somewhat active doing skating walking and biking,but now after 6 kids I am just too worn out. Zumba is even easier but during the summer it is just to hard to get out of the house with my younger kids.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think life is too short to do something that makes me feel that crappy.

WELL SAID :drinker:
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    YES keep it up!! Believe it or not you WILL get better, faster and stronger! Modify if you must, there is no shame in that. Go a little slower when you arent comfortable and speed up when you are. Over time you will notice how much more you can do.

Some effort is far better than NO effort!! Don't give up!!
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think keep at it. Honestly, it is amazing how fast your endurance improves. And if by day 10 you're not ready to move onto level 2 then don't. Take as much time as you need. If you need a break or need to modify a jumping jack, then go ahead and do it (regardless of what Jililan says). If you keep working at it, it won't be too long until you get all the way through level one with no problem and you will feel such a sense of accomplishment! Good luck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Try something like walk-away-the-pounds or whatever Leslie Sansone is calling it now. I have one that's a variable workout you can do just 1 mile or anything up to 5 miles in one workout. It will help build up your stamina. Try to find something that's fun for you. It will make exercise so much more bearable!

I wanted to add, the 30ds does get easier the longer you do it! By the end of a full week, I was able to do the entire level 1 workout without pausing to catch my breath. I thought I was never going to make it to that point on day 3. :bigsmile:
  • anisa75
    anisa75 Posts: 19
    Options
    yes it is hard ... if you are really wanting something different try denise austin fat burn and cardio excerise ... i`m telling tou their great and you can go at your own pace untill you feel that yo can up it and them maybe try to go back to the 30 day shred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uvwCi03yE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wye-rJVCg4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxTVmpvyUt8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwSby4qDdo&feature=relmfu

try some of these and their only 20 mins long
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is for true beginners. It is going to be hard. Nothing is going to be easy. I couldn't even complete 5 minutes the first day I did it. By day five of pushing myself, not giving up, and making myself do it it became SIGNIFICANTLY easier.

Don't give up because it's "too hard" for you. You are only putting limits on yourself and your progress.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think that 30 DS was pretty hard and I had ran a 5k before starting it. It does get easier as you go. By day 10 on level 1, I wasn't even sweating that hard but I remember wanting to quit the first few days. The thing that kept me going was that my husband would make fun of me while I was doing it and it just made me more stubborn. I told him go ahead and laugh if you want but he isn't laughing now that I can literally kick myself in my butt when running in place and complete several minutes of double jump ropes. Concentrate on how strong you will be and push through! I wouldn't invest in another video until you complete 30 DS especially since the strength and abs isn't that bad. I would just pick up and give it another go.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Keep at it. Modify the jumping jacks if you need to - I know JM says "there is no modification for these" but honestly, I modify to do high knees and do the arm movements associated with the jumping jacks - it keeps my heart rate up, and I'm fine.

If you arent ready to move on to level 2, dont worry about it, stick with the first level as long as you need to, and move on when/if you are ready.

i have used it in the past, and plan on starting back up again tonight with 30DS and Insanity (Which is like 30DS on steriods) along with the C25K - Not all at once, but that is my standard hybrid plan, along wiht some heavy lifting!!

Good luck to you!!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind, "Sweat is Fat Crying" Keep at it, it should be hard if it were easy it wouldn't be a work out. :)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    OK, let me say I am direct...I promise I am not being mean with this comment...It is very hard...but I guess you have to ask yourself how much you actually want it. I am almost 40...never exercised a day in my life...and not only finished 30 DS ( and hated EVERY SECOND OF IT!) I went straight into P90, C25K and now so lifting heavy...not bad for an old lady...so...ask yourself how much you are worth? And just do it!! Stick with it...and I promise it gets a lot easier- NOT EASY- but easier!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Honestly I found level one cardio a little tough the first few days too - especially the stupid jumping jacks! If you can push through (taking breaks when needed), you will notice how incredibly quickly you can build up strength and endurance. You will begin to appreciate what your body can do and how it will respond and change - and that is pretty cool.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and do the best you can. It wouldn't be a good effective work out if you had it mastered the first day you did it.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Your endurance will improve, and you will be stronger. When I started it I had a hard time with it too, and I had to modify. No big deal. I still lost weight and inches using it. I couldn't even do one push up when I first started 30ds....now I can do pushups. You don't see or get results by giving up too soon. Just stick it out and you will be glad you did.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Jumping Jacks KILLED my already not in great shape knees, so I started doing the jumprope thing every time the jumping jacks are called for. At first I could only do the jumping rope arms, now I can do the feet part and the jumping jack arms (which is important to raise your heart rate)

Keep at it !
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If all else fails - KEEP MOVING! If you find yourself too tired to complete the set of jumping jacks or whatever, do some high knees or skaters or something that is easier for you to do. Just keep moving and your endurance will improve. Don't give up, just make it work for you!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    3 days is not enough time -- you were/are probably still sore while your body is adjusting. It should get easier as time goes on and, for the cardio portion, you will gain more endurance as time goes on as well. C25K taught me that! The sucky truth is you will be sore, you might hate doing it, but its only a small portion of your day and then its done and its well worth the feeling you get afterwards.