HIIT

Options
Sassy922
Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
So I googled "HIIT" because I couldn't figure out what it was. So now that I know, I'm going to try. But here's my question, can I do HIIT on the same days that I strength train or do I need them on separate days?

Sorry if this question has been asked a gagillion times before.

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I typically do my HIIT on different days than strength training OR if I have to do them on the same day, I'll do one in the morning and one in the evening. Otherwise I'm either too tired from HIIT to lift efficiently, or I'm too tired from lifting to do much in the way of HIIT. I prefer to be able to do both at full capacity :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    HIIT is an anaerobic workout, like strength training, and taxes the muscles similarly. It requires rest like strength training, unlike most cardio, to be effective. If you do a full body strength program, and you're doing HIIT properly, you should not be able to perform at both on the same day- but if you do them back-to-back you're cutting in to the rest time of one of them- so I guess you have to make your own judgement on that. If you find that you're able to do HIIT regularly without the rest time, you're doing speed interval training, not HIIT.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. Thank you!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I can barely get through a yoga practice after a HIIT. I always alternate HIIT days and strength days. I don't think I could do them on the same day even if I wanted to.