New

Options
New to this site, my sister recommended it to me as I constantly wanting to eat something. And seeing as I am on the computer most every day... there is no excuse for me not to keep track of my eating. I hope this helps as I don't eat when hungry most time. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to meals, I rather eat something on the fly than cook.

I'm glad my sister told me about this site. I'm a kinda likin it.

Replies

• MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi! Your first step was admitting you want to lose weight. Here are MY tips for you:

Drink 64 oz of water daily/nightly; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes. Take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti); speaking of "wheat" eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc. Be wise and use coupons found in your local newspaper, eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (ask for extra virgin olive oil @ restaurants/use at home), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), try eating Baked Lays, air popped popcorn, buy a pizza stone ($29.99) and you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I'm thinking after your shift you go have a big breakfast w/family, friends, and/or go home and eat then conk out. That's a no, no. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (rapid eye movement). So just think, after your heavy breakfast you fall asleep and the food has not fully digested in your stomach; so it just sits there like a hybernating bear during winter time. If you fall asleep w/an "empty" stomach, your metabolism will "kick into gear" and when you wake up you won't have that heavy full feeling.

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy reicpes and is another souce of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't suscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all night. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". We women have PMS, we retain water, mood swings, cramps, etc., two weeks BEFORE we mensturate. I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her :heart: ) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly.

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following (check out the OR), one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds (mainly water retention weight) because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!!

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva
  • sandra68
    sandra68 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise Eva! I have "fallen off the wagon" so to speak. Working out 4 days a week and eating better and gaining 2 lbs just made me give up. Weekends stink for me... always on the go eating out. I try to cut down on my milk intake too.. as I usually drink tons of it. I did good with the south beach diet but for some reason I can't seem to get back into doing it. Laziness.. probably. Lack of motavation.. def. It's like I want to lose it but... can't seem to lose it fast enough or easy enough.. Today is another day.. I've already messed up eating but I guess I can still get on track... never too late right?