3500 calories in a pound? Is this accurate?

Options
So, I have always been astounded by how many pounds I lose when I actually stick to my diet plan/workout routine. However, when I see four pounds drop in one week, I know that there is no way I've actually burned 14,000 calories. No way. Absolutely not.

And I think, well maybe its water weight or something, but not only do I drink 8 cups of water a day, but it is a weight loss that stays off (at least until I start eating like a pig again a few weeks later).

Now it took me about a full year of on and off dieting before I went from 170lbs to 125lbs, and since then I have remained between 128 - 132. I have a wedding in two weeks and wanted to slim down (just a few pounds) to wear a very beautiful dress I have set aside. I started Saturday the 14th at 130lbs and in just 2 1/2 days the scale is reading at 127.5. Is it really just water weight or is 3500 calories not as accurate as it seems as a basis for weight loss? Any input would be fantastic.

Replies

• Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's an approximation. Many variables.

I am more of a how I look in the mirror/picture and how the clothes fit type of guy than the scales.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Unless you're obese (which you're not), a lot of weight loss is going to be water weight at first.

If you have a wedding in two weeks and are looking for a "quick fix" type of diet, I'd recommend Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss.

http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/data/aironz/The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.pdf

Granted this shouldn't be done for any length of time by anyone, two weeks and no longer shouldn't really harm your body.

Of course if you revert back to a carefree diet afterwards, these two weeks will have been entirely wasted so maybe think of this as a starting point for a healthier lifestyle.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you started eating healthier, then it could have been your body flushing garbage out of your system. that's what happened to me. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks, and I was averaging a deficit of 3500 cals/week.

the 3500 calories in a pound of fat is pretty accurate, however, just because you burn an extra 3500 calories every week doesn't necessarily mean that you will lose 1 pound of fat. There are far too many variables for that to happen consistently.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes it is accurate. You are losing water weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit.. blood sugar is carried around the body attached to water molecules and when you have less blood sugar readily available you lose water weight. Also, less food going through your digestive tract can have an effect.. these things combined can be 1-3 pounds at your size (my size too) and probably more for someone bigger. When you start eating back at a normal level you get a more normal amount of blood sugar (water included) and food in your digestive tract and may gain a pound or two accordingly.
  • Malvarez2013
    Malvarez2013 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys! Really helpful and informative replies!