Question about Pedometers and calories logged

Options
Hi all, I was just wondering, I've started a walking challenge at work and will be wearing a pedometer for 10 weeks. Now I work in an office and don't walk around too much, but I do take the stairs and get up and walk every 30 mins and walk from the bus into work etc. My pedometer is currently showing 3469 steps since about 7:30 am, and it shows that doing those steps I have so far burned 213 calories, should I be logging this as exercise to account for those calories? Yesterday I put them in as walking leisurely and tweaked the time until the calories matched, but now I'm thinking that I maybe shouldn't. Can someone please clarify this for me? I just want to make sure that I'm not going under on my calories and not even knowing it!

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, a pedometer is more accurate than guessing. The thing is, the calories that come up when you enter an exercise may not be correct for your body type. If you do have a pedometer or HRM, then you should use that value. You can just click on the calories and change the value, you don't have to adjust the time to get that amount of calories listed.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I do the same thing you have done. Surprise today everything worked out but that is rare. I am more interested in calories burned so I rely on my polar for calories burned.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think, (and I could be wrong) but most of those calories are already going to be figured into your everyday activity level when you set your "goals"

I think it's good to note your figures somewhere in your diary, but I don't' think I would be taking those calories as actual aerobic exercise.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to leave them as normal activity and not log them, because they should be taken into account in the everyday amount. :bigsmile: