Dance Dance Revolution

Options
I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I wanna go into my own details about my DDR workout, so I thought I'd start my first day here asking about it!

I do it on the hardest level, with the arrows moving at 2x speed, for about 45 - 55 minutes straight. I never change the song so there's only about 30 second between each song, and during that break, I keep moving (usually doing jumping jacks or jump rope, unless I have to get a drink, and even then I walk around my bedroom while drinking) Even when there aren't arrows on the screen I dance around on the mat. I jump and move a lot. My heart rate is high the whole time and I sweat so much. My legs are burning during the entire thing, too. It surely makes me sweat more than running in place or rope jumping for 45 minutes ever has. The calorie counter says I burn 1000 calories, but I know it isn't that much. I always guess it's between 300 - 500 calories, half or less than half of what it estimates.

Does this estimation sound good? And, I do this on top of 20 minutes of strength training and I eat about 1400 calories a day. Does this sound good to lose weight?

I'm 138 pounds now and only 5'3". I'm aiming for 115 :))

EDIT: Yeah, I do it on challenge. I move and jump a lot. And, I also mix up my cardio. Some days I'll use my stationary bike, others I'll do DDR and rope jumping, or just rope jumping or running in place...etc etc.

EDIT: I have Dance Dance Revolution: Extreme 2 for the PS2 :))

Edit: I have looked it up on Google. The fitness site Livestrong says that in one minute on the hardest level you can burn 8 calories. My songs are about....1.5 - 2 minutes so I guess it's about 10 - 12 calories per song.

Replies

• rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I can't tell you if thats good - as it depends on you and what your body is use to..

But I am investing in a ps2 and DDR again! :)
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors into how much you would burn. My suggestion is to get a heart rate monitor and wear it during your exercise. It will be much more accurate than any of our guesses.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I kept trying to guess what my burns were, too, when I was doing a lot of different exercises like Zumba for the Wii, or the Wii Fit. I finally caved and just bought a Polar FT4. They're about $58 from Amazon (the ones with the chest strap are what you want).

I know it doesn't answer your question, but it's what I finally did after I tired of guessing. XD
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'd say 1k is accurate depending on effort. SOunds like you're putting a lot into it. Try a heart rate monitor for more accuracy. I know when I ddr for 45-1 hour I sweat way more than I do kickboxing haha. Plus if your doing it at the highest (challege) lvl at 2x you're moving like sonic lol.

edit:

I'd say I burn close to 1k on ddr in an hour. I've also got nearly 100lbs on you though =). I usually concentrate on a mix of standard/heavy/challenge.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    did you try looking it up on google? sometimes they have programs that give you the closest thing until you get a heart monitor I know they have one for zumba
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    MInd if I ask what game you're playing? I'm an Ex2 addict lol. Also love Nova1. Ps3 DDRs I could take or leave.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I won't admit that I have this game for Wii...