Controlling Sugar intake

Options
Need some advice on how to keep my sugar intake down. I'm finding that the fresh fruit I love...cantelope, blueberries, bananas, etc. are very high in sugar. I'm only eating it before 12noon, so I know that should help. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Replies

• huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with this too... I generally only eat one serving of fruit per day (I'm trying to limit my carbs to around 150g per day too) but there is sugar in everything! I'm eating mostly clean but it's even in stuff like marinara sauce, peanut butter, etc.
  • jbbattles
    jbbattles Posts: 19
    Options
    I do okay with the peanut butter, only use Smuckers Natural because it only contains peanuts. You're right, though..it's hidden in everything.
  • jhale51
    jhale51 Posts: 2
    Options
    this is for jbbattles...I am sorry that you are having problems with your blood sugar... I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, I love fruits too... all I can tell you is portion control... that helps me more and then the ones like cantelope 1/2 cup for me isn't worth it...I stick with berries and grapefruit lots of salad... eatting at the same times everyday, taking my medication at the same time and lots of exercise and eatting 4 to 6 times a day small amounts (3 regular meals and 2 snacks work well for me.) will help keep your blood sugar level.. and test 6 times a day 2 hours after a regular meal or anytime you try a new food... what makes me spike might not make you... it is a very personal thing... but a food scale and meauring cups have become my best friend... and it is odd the things that spike my blood sugar and those that don't... I have also found a 20 minute walk or ride on my stationary bike will bring down a spike... Good luck hope this helps...
  • jbbattles
    jbbattles Posts: 19
    Options
    this is for jbbattles...I am sorry that you are having problems with your blood sugar... I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, I love fruits too... all I can tell you is portion control... that helps me more and then the ones like cantelope 1/2 cup for me isn't worth it...I stick with berries and grapefruit lots of salad... eatting at the same times everyday, taking my medication at the same time and lots of exercise and eatting 4 to 6 times a day small amounts (3 regular meals and 2 snacks work well for me.) will help keep your blood sugar level.. and test 6 times a day 2 hours after a regular meal or anytime you try a new food... what makes me spike might not make you... it is a very personal thing... but a food scale and meauring cups have become my best friend... and it is odd the things that spike my blood sugar and those that don't... I have also found a 20 minute walk or ride on my stationary bike will bring down a spike... Good luck hope this helps...

Thanks for the great ideas...I think portion control has been my enemy all along!