The "Just For YOU!" Trap...

Options
A girl at my job was lamenting about it.

Several friends on facebook posted about it.

Friends on tumblr ranted about it.

And a couple of pals have mentioned it, too.

The "I made this for YOU!!!" trap. (Points if you caught my reference.)

Your sweet friend/relative/healthy-eating-frienemy makes you something that is delicious for the rest of the population...but is either going to derail your day or make you gag. But you can't crush their heart. IS there a way out of this? I never found one. But it would be interesting to see what others have to say. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing? :frown: Not even the unhelpful "just say no" answer?
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Nothing? :frown: Not even the unhelpful "just say no" answer?

I have found NOTHING that makes this right. I have a huge list of allergies, so I always have to ask what something is anyway. :D

Gomen. >.>
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well, if they REALLY made it just for you, they would have taken into consideration that you are watching what you eat.

I find that frequently, my coworkers insist that I eat crappy food with them, because it makes them feel better about eating it themselves. For some reason, when I don't eat a cookie, no one eats cookies that day. If I am seen taking a little nibble, everyone else has 3 cookies and no shame. So, I'll ask if someone wants to split it with me. That way, I eat less than a full portion, and someone else gets to feel included.

If you really don't want to eat it or can't, tell them that you appreciate the sentiment, but perhaps they can celebrate with you another way, like with cards, flowers, or working out together! A lot of my friends seem to appreciate going for a walk with me or taking a class together. It's not food, but it's still socializing.

I think a lot of the food thing is just that people want to feel like they are part of a herd, and when you reject the food, they feel like they are being rejected as a person. Offer an alternate way to make them feel included, and see if it works.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    "OH! I can't BELIEVE how thoughtful you are! I'll take it all home with me and keep it until:

a) I'm over this stomach virus that won't allow me to eat (whatever it is) OR
    b) I'm finished with the round of antibiotics that keeps me from eating (whatever it is) OR
    c) I can share it with my Aunt Tilly, who's arriving from Topeka tonight OR
    d) I've lost these last 45 pounds and several dozen more so I can afford an extra 9,000 calories for no freaking reason whatsoever."

Take your pick!
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I think a lot of the food thing is just that people want to feel like they are part of a herd, and when you reject the food, they feel like they are being rejected as a person. Offer an alternate way to make them feel included, and see if it works.

I love this one.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just say no...I am more concerned about me and my health...not their feelings. ;)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Like others said if it is just for you they should know that you are doing what you are doing. If there was no way for them to know you are watching what you eat, just thank them and share it with someone else meaning give it to someone else. Or make the person eat it with you and take a bite of it...
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Say, "That looks delicious but I just ate my lunch/snack. Can you save one for me?" If they put one on a plate and give it to you, you can always throw it away later. You shouldn't feel pressured to eat something you don't want.
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1. Hey, skinny friend/significant other, come share this with me!,
    2. Small, small portions,
    3. If you can't talk yourself out, say you're eating less "so that you'll have more to save for later,"
    4. I just ate ______! It was SO filling, I don't think I could squeeze this in!

There's still no good way OP, totally agree with you on that.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    "sorrie allready ate, but ill take some home and try it alter":smokin:
    also "whats it is?(fillin with what ever) sorry i cant im allergic to_______, but thanks anyway"
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I'm late but I love all of these ideas. I will definitely be sharing them with friends. :laugh: