Running outside?

Options
2»

Replies

• nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that running outside will feel a lot harder than running on a treadmill. This is for 2 reasons. 1. the treadmill is powered so actually does some of the work for you. 2. running outside will NEVER be perfectly flat. There are always inclines to bear in mind.

Give it a go and please don't be disheartened if you can't match the same distance/speed you would be used to on a treadmill. I used to only go on the treadmill and was amazed at how hard it was on tarmac. Now I won't use a treadmill at all.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    •Ease into it. Move your runs outside gradually to allow your joints time to adjust to the new running surface (asphalt/concrete can be hard on your joints!!). If possible start on a trail or outdoor track so it is cushioned...

•Take it easy on the hills.

•Remember to tell people WHERE you are running too. Always bring a cell phone or change for a pay phone and ID with you in case something happens!

I joined a Learn to Run club back in January...it was nice having a coach to help me on my running journey. It really is a learning curve to adjust to the elements...but it is so worth it! :)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I prefer treadmill running. Some find it boring (hence the term "dreadmill"), but I pop on, open a mindless magazine and read while I run (some aren't able to read while they run, due to balance issues, but I don't have a problem with it). There are no dirt roads near by, so it would have to be sidewalks and uneven roads if I ran outside. I have the rolling-ankles-of-death and bad knees, so if I ran regularly outside, I know I would injure myself and be down for the count; running on pavement is also very hard on the joints. Running indoors is perfect for me and I can do it regardless of the weather. I love mixing it up, changing speeds and inclines.

The advice previously given is great, regardless of where you start running --- go slow (if you think you're slow, go even slower), lots of water, and warmup/cooldown are vital.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    There is some excellent advice here. I am a newbe runner myself. I am an indoor cardio queen, but never ran outside. My son convinced me to run a 5K with him in September, so I needed to get outside and train.

Running outside is a totally different {and better, imho} experience. Start out slow and advance as you see fit. I do a modified C25K. I have hard time watching a stopwatch, so I use outdoor landmarks, such as mailboxes, as my timing runs/walks. I started, run 1 mailbox and walk 2. In 3 weeks I am up to run 5 mailboxes and walk one.

Google for running playlists. I found a website that you can put together a playlist that the songs BPM for particular running pace. It does help you keep going with the right tempo. I have my list for a 9-10 minute pace. I am not there yet, but hopefully soon.

If you have a smart phone there are some great apps that will map distance, your pace, and speed. Lets you know when you are improving.

It has been extremely hot and humid here. I do suggest, if you have the same weather patterns, get up and out early. Its hard to run when it's too hot, and worse, too humid.

To quote Nike, just do it You won't be disappointed.