When is your log-day over??

Options
Do you log all the cals you eat in one day as in from 12:00a-11:59p, even if you're up and eating late?

OR

Do you log all the food you eat before you go to bed, whenever that may be, and start the next day when you wake up?

For example: You get up at 8a on a Fri, normal day at work then you go out at night, eat at Ihop/Denny's around 2a and you don't go to bed until 3a sat and wake up again on sat at noon. Do you count that on Fri or Sat's log?

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good question.. :)

I try to have it done by midnight, and by that I mean stop EATING at midnight. I have eaten at 3am and I will put that on the previous day's tab even if it means going over.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I go sleepy-winkums. No matter if it's technically today or tomorrow or whatever. Logging begins again when it's time for coffee at the next glimpse of daylight and not before.

Editing to add that anything else is too confusing for me. This works.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I log for the calendar day. As in today is Monday the 16th and everything I eat in the hours that constitute Monday the 16th I log for "today".
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I work a rotating shift so sometimes I'm eating all day, sometimes all night. I start/stop mine at midnight just to be consistent.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I log according to my sleep cycles, though I am trying to curb the late night (actually early morning) eating. Sometimes, if I don't have the calories, I roll it over to the next day's log so I will eat less the next day. I care more about my weekly average overall.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was logging Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks.
    I'm on maternity leave and when I return to work it will be a 12h continental (days/nights) schedule. In preparation for that, I log in hour intervals.
    0701-1100
    1101-1500
    1501-1900
    1901-2300
    2301-0300
    0301-0700

In the meantime, it helps to show me my "hungriest" times of day.
  • neiceemary
    neiceemary Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a strange schedule. So right now I am at work - it's currently 1233am on 7/17 but I am logging everything tonight as for 7/16 since my day started then. Hope that makes sense!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I log midnight to midnight, it's what works best for me. I work overnights and eat at strange times and that seemed to be the easiest way. I also list my meals as times (12am to 7am, 8am to 2pm and 3pm to 9pm) because I eat at odd times. =)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    6pm, I hit that submit button and I am done for food.

I tend to have a _very_ light breakfast and then it's a noshfest starting about 10am.

I'm working from home right now which helps, otherwise I'd have a more traditional breakfast and lunch.
  • jatilmig
    jatilmig Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the calendar day as well - also as part of being accountable to myself - else I will start juggling and moving stuff around.... Owning it and logging it is the way forward :smile:
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm usually up late (but I also get up later than most people), so I log everything I eat before I go to bed as part of the last day, and then start the next day with breakfast. Seems the most natural to me. This way my logging is in sync with my biological rhythm. After all, my body doesn't care whether it's 11:59pm or 12:01am. I think it's more natural to start the new day after the body has rested during sleep, rather then at some random cutoff time.
  • Prayforya
    Prayforya Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!

Personally, I log by sleep-cycles. I find it helps me be more conscious of my food consumption for the entire day I plan on having. For example, if I know I'm going to have a late night out with my friends until 3a and we're gonna make the routine Ihop stop then I eat accordingly all day knowing that I will need to conserve cals for the very end of the day vs how I would eat if I planned on going to bed at 11p. I feel like 5-7hrs of sleep is a kind of "reset button" for the body so I like to do it that way.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity! ;)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    whatever works
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up late (but I also get up later than most people), so I log everything I eat before I go to bed as part of the last day, and then start the next day with breakfast. Seems the most natural to me. This way my logging is in sync with my biological rhythm. After all, my body doesn't care whether it's 11:59pm or 12:01am. I think it's more natural to start the new day after the body has rested during sleep, rather then at some random cutoff time.

This is how I do it. Body doesn't care about the actual time... plus when I am UP is MY day. So, it makes sense to me to keep all the food from one of my days together!