Question for all the "eat above your BMR" folks

Options
What do you do, if, say, you went on a REALLY REALLY long bike ride (not with the intent to get in a lot of cardio, but for the enjoyment of the ride) and despite eating well above your BMR, and a lot more than you normally eat, but your net calories, according to mfp, is in the negative numbers? (After the hearty dinner I'm about to have, I'm going to be about -11 net calories)

As a side note, the American River is beautiful, and with me moving cross country in less than a month, this is one of my last chances to bike the pathed length of it. I do NOT do this much bike riding as a standard of exercise. NORMALLY I do more strength training, but a bit less cardio, but as previously stated, this wasn't for the purposes of working out, it was for the enjoyment of the ride itself.

It is NOT normal practice for me to be in negative net calories. Other than when I'm ill with a stomach virus, or VERY RARELY if Aunt Flo leaves me so nauseated that I can't eat, I TYPICALLY am one of the "aim between your BMR and your TDEE" types around here, so for me to end up in negative net calories is rare. I would like to know how people feel about negative net calories on very rare occasions, while still being significantly above your BMR.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    one low day won't hurt :)
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Indeed one low day wont hurt you, the same as eating 300 calories over your goal wont make you gain a pound. :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I only care for the actual calories that I'm eating & not on the net calories. As long as I don't go lower than my BMR (w/o exercise), then I'm good. I agree that one low day won't hurt you. Unless you're an athlete who regularly trains for hours, there's no need to actually eat back all exercise calories just to reach that net.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I only care for the actual calories that I'm eating & not on the net calories. As long as I don't go lower than my BMR (w/o exercise), then I'm good. I agree that one low day won't hurt you. Unless you're an athlete who regularly trains for hours, there's no need to actually eat back all exercise calories just to reach that net.

Highly subjective.

MFP is setup that you're cal target is already a deficit hence why eating you're exercise cals ends up still in the deficit that you originally setup.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tour de France cyclists eat as they ride.