Feeling a bit down on myself today...

Options
So I started playing around with the MFP app on my phone at the end of June and logging my weight and parts of meals sporadically, but decided a week ago to jump in with both feet and log everything and adding exercise. I began to log in to the full website regularly, and have a few friends now. I decided over the weekend that I will only do weigh-ins once a week, and I decided to make it on Monday. Well, I went on the scale and had a higher number than the 2 days before (a gain of 2 lbs). I know that my weekend was not my shining moment, as we ended up eating out a lot more than I would have liked, but I don't know if that is what affected my weight, or if it's water retention, or what. It was frustrating because I have tried to be really honest when logging my my food and exercise, and I know that I have done more purposeful cardio in the last 2 weeks than in the last year or two, and even began to do some strength training. I feel good, and I like the feeling of my body working hard and working with me to do what I want. So I guess I just expected an 'instant' result, when I should know that won't be the case! Hopefully, next week's weigh-in will give me the affirmation that my hard work is paying off. And if not, I'm going to keep at it and tweak until I get it right.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. My diary is currently set for friends only. I would love to find some more motivational, supportive friends who will keep me honest and help me in my quest to make better decisions.

Should I be concerned about this 'setback', or am I getting myself worked up about nothing?

Replies

• frafjordtwins
    frafjordtwins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me in the begining. I played around with the app for a few weeks the forgot all about it. That was until I saw a friend who stuck with it after i fizzled out. She is one of my great motivations. If she can do it so can I and YOU. It is hard not to get all worked up over gaining weight no matter how small or little it is. I do the same thing. I have choosen to weigh myself twice a week, I log the good the bad and the ugly calories i eat. It helps me stay focused. I take pride in logging everything down, Some people will skip logging if they are eating really bad, I see reward in logging everything. You are already ahead in the game if you like the way your body feels after your workouts. Keep up the GREAT work.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me in the begining. I played around with the app for a few weeks the forgot all about it. That was until I saw a friend who stuck with it after i fizzled out. She is one of my great motivations. If she can do it so can I and YOU. It is hard not to get all worked up over gaining weight no matter how small or little it is. I do the same thing. I have choosen to weigh myself twice a week, I log the good the bad and the ugly calories i eat. It helps me stay focused. I take pride in logging everything down, Some people will skip logging if they are eating really bad, I see reward in logging everything. You are already ahead in the game if you like the way your body feels after your workouts. Keep up the GREAT work.

Thanks. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one not seeing a lot of results in a short amount of time. And I agree. I have been logging pretty much everything I eat, down to the olive oil I'm sauteeing my veggies in or grilling with!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I had a moment today... Went to the gym and thought "Wow, i feel great... Making progress, etc". Then I undressed for the shower and pop went my balloon. Lots of work left. Hang in there, keep working it and it'll work!
  • Angylgrrl
    Options
    I know what you mean. I had a moment today... Went to the gym and thought "Wow, i feel great... Making progress, etc". Then I undressed for the shower and pop went my balloon. Lots of work left. Hang in there, keep working it and it'll work!

Trust me, I know that feeling! Luckily, I don't have to undress in 'public' (my apartment complex has a fitness room with some weight machines, treadmills, and ellipticals, so I shower after I walk back home). Thanks for the inspiring words!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    unfortunately it takes time and persistence... weight is so easy to put on and so hard to lose... I find my weight varies throughout the day by about 1kg (2lb) just with food and water etc... so it may not be true weight gain. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will see results soon!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Most women vary over the month. You can see several discussion threads about that, if you do a quick search. It's a bit disheartening if you happen to start at a bad time. But track for a bit. Don't try to do everything at once. Use the tracking to identify your trouble spots and then start working on them. You're doing good by getting on here and making the effort. That's the first step. You have to take a first step in order to be able to take a second step.
    Good luck!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know how you feel. I was hoping for a 1.5 lb loss last week (my first week), but I lost only one pound. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but if you drink your water, somehow your body balances out the water issue. I struggle with this one myself, so I know. Good reminder for the both of us.

Also, in looking at our weight loss progress week to week, we can all fluctuate a bit. Think longer-term, maybe over a month's time or see how well you are doing over a 4 or 6 week period of time. Also, keeping track of your measurements is a great way to get some encouragement when the scale doesn't give you what you expect. You deserve a healthier you! Keep going for it!
  • Angylgrrl
    Options
    weight is so easy to put on and so hard to lose...

Truer words were never spoken.... Thanks for the add!
  • Angylgrrl
    Options
    Most women vary over the month. You can see several discussion threads about that, if you do a quick search. It's a bit disheartening if you happen to start at a bad time. But track for a bit. Don't try to do everything at once. Use the tracking to identify your trouble spots and then start working on them. You're doing good by getting on here and making the effort. That's the first step. You have to take a first step in order to be able to take a second step.
    Good luck!

Thank you for the info. I know I should have thought about that, but I didn't. I don't know if it is affecting my loss, but I will keep an eye on it and see if a pattern develops.
  • Angylgrrl
    Options
    if you drink your water, somehow your body balances out the water issue. I struggle with this one myself, so I know. Good reminder for the both of us.
    I've been trying to drink a lot of water. I've done pretty well. I have a hard time at work because I can't keep it cold, and who likes to drink lukewarm water? But thank you for the reminder. We've got this!
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can relate all too well to pretty much everything everyone's written on here.

I've been exercising on a regular basis now for over 5yrs. I go to the gym and work hard. I'm not the kind of person who just says "oh yeah I go to the gym" and then doesn't actually push themselves. I truly work my butt off. I've had personal trainers and surround myself with a couple of friends who are wonderful supportive motivators.

Unfortunately, all this hard work doesn't really show and it often looks like I'm wasting my time.
    I've been so close to throwing in the towel more than once, particularly when I'm still told I'm chubby, or that I look the same... or when I step onto the scales just to realise that nope, I'm STILL the same weight give or take a couple kilos, this despite the fact that I'm actively working on my fitness, not just my weight and appearance.

It's incredibly disheartening, disappointing and hurtful to know that all the hours training, the sore muscles, the carefully thought-out lifestyle diet, as i call it (as opposed to a fad diet), are evidently not paying off.

What I've learnt as i've gotten older though, is that we must all keep things in perspective...
    That although we really do stick to healthy eating plans and regular physical activity so we can look gorgeous in our skinny jeans and short dresses, we really should also focus on the fact that we are doing it so we can live longer, healthier, fitter lives... And not to mention, feel happier about ourselves, as physical activity does wonders for our endorphins.

I know that my biggest motivator right now, is that I want to be an older, fitter and hopefully slimmer... and fabulous looking older person :-)

Don't loose sight of what you're working towards. Don't let people's negativity influence you and despite what the scales say, listen to your body. If you're giving it your all, you're already two steps ahead of those who are doing nothing at all to look after themselves
    xox
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you went out to eat several times over the weekend, the weight gain is probably water retention. Restaurants load there food with sodium. If you used the data from the actual restaurants in your log add sodium to what you are tracking and you will see what I mean. It's crazy how much they use. Just drink a lot of water and it should flush out of your system in a couple of days. =)
  • AnnFord87
    AnnFord87 Posts: 7
    Options
    honestly I weigh in towards the end of the week (I tend to slack a little more on the weekends unless its a race weekend as my hubby dirt track races and Im usually at pretty close to a dead run the whole day lol) but also weigh in in the morning before you have eaten anything and after plenty of quality rest so your body is feeling fully restored...the weigh ins before the weekend is really just a mind trick because I can usually tell whether I need to step it up or if Im on target without the scale but seeing the numbers go up instead of down is saddening when you work so hard for progress
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found MFP. Logging in daily and checking in with friends will definitely increase your chances on success. When I joined MFP it took me two months before I saw any results. It was very frustrating but I did not give up, and then finally the scale moved. Just remember, the scale isn't 'god' when it comes to get healthy- pay attention to how your clothes fit, take pictures and measurements also. Another good idea is to set fitness goals rather than weight loss goals because fitness goals are more tangible. Sometimes your weight just doesn't cooperate even when you are doing everything right, but you can always keep making gains towards your fitness. Setting a goal like doing 10 pull-ups, or running a mile without stopping to walk can keep you motivated when the scale is now.
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    if you drink your water, somehow your body balances out the water issue. I struggle with this one myself, so I know. Good reminder for the both of us.
    I've been trying to drink a lot of water. I've done pretty well. I have a hard time at work because I can't keep it cold, and who likes to drink lukewarm water? But thank you for the reminder. We've got this!

I drink mine ice cold :P More often than not, I drink a bunch of tea (unsweetened and without milk) and log that as water. Doesn't matter too much where you get your liquids from as long as you get them sufficiently.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

I drink mine ice cold :P More often than not, I drink a bunch of tea (unsweetened and without milk) and log that as water. Doesn't matter too much where you get your liquids from as long as you get them sufficiently.

If you can, freeze 1/2 bottle of water overnight. Add water in the morning and through the day. The block of ice can last for a long time. I've been collecting a list... mostly for people who were having trouble drinking enough water. It's posted in my blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
    Hope it helps! (Please give it a positive vote, if it's useful to you and feel free to add any suggestions.)