Scale fluctuation

Options
I understand that the scale is not the only way to measure success -- I'm losing a significant amount of inches and my endurance has improved.

I do still watch the scale.

It can -- and will -- fluctuate anywhere from 0.2lbs to 3lbs day to day. This seems like a lot to me. Is it really possible to be yo-yoing so significantly on a daily basis?

The one thing I can pinpoint is my sodium levels -- I am meticulous when I log, and I notice that I'm almost always over my sodium.

Any suggestions are very welcomed.

I'm currently at 1560 cal/day and focus mostly on cardio, minimum of 3, 30-minute sessions/week.

Edit: To clarify, I mean from one day to the next, not AM to PM in the same day. I will wake up one morning at 177 and the next I'll be 180.

Replies

• foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    --- Now that I think about it, is it possible that I just need a new battery?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I did a primal experment for the month of June and found much less daily fluctuation while eating 100 or fewer grams of carbs per day. I even stayed the same for 5 consecutive days.

I've gone off for these past 2 weeks while on vacation, but started back on today.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
    ^ This. If I have a day where I eat a bunch of high-sodium junk, the scale can be up anywhere from 1-4 lbs. the next morning. It usually levels out within 3 days or so. Just keep an eye on your overall (week-to-week, month-to-month) trend - if it's going down, you're doing fine. If the fluctuations really bother you and you have trouble wrapping your head around them, weigh weekly instead of daily.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink about 1.5 litres of water about midday and I end up going to the toilet 2-3 times during the night. So water can stay in your body a long time, even if you haven't had salt. These fluctuations are entirely normal. Food intake (dry food will result in you gaining, because you'll drink more - imagine eating a loaf of bread and you'll drink a lot to compensate), how often you go to the toilet and what you do there all have an effect.

If you're trying to lose weight, and want to have maximum use of the scales, then try this. If you ate well one day, then if you gained the next day for whatever reason, ignore it and use the previous days result. Also, you can't lose half a pound or 200g in one day of fat. So if you lose a lot one day, don't write down the whole change, just halve it. This method smooths out extra factors and makes the scale more useful. Note also that scales are a lot more accurate than tape measuring, a scale can have an accuracy to one part in 1000, no way can a tape measure have that, due to things such as what's in your stomach at that time and how tight the tape is.
  • writinwater
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but just to have an idea of how I'm doing. I find it motivating to see any changes, because then I'm more inclined to make better food choices, "Better not have that bicsuit, the scales were up!"

I record my weight once a week - first thing after my morning wee ;) For whatever reason Saturday seems to be when I'm at my lowest (maybe because I've had a little sleep in?) so that's now become my record day.